Final Fantasy IV Unprecedented Crisis is a ROM hack of Final Fantasy IV by Pinkpuff.
This hack contains examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Due to being playable for longer than the first third of the game, Dark Knight Cecil can equip much more equipment and even cast Black Magic.
- Continuity Nod: The Ice Cave from Final Fantasy appears as a level in the Underworld.
- For Want of a Nail: Leviathan doesn't sink Cecil's ship, setting off a whole new chain of events. Notably, becoming a paladin is optional and the game can be beaten with Dark Knight Cecil.
- New Game+: If the player defeats Zeromus with a solo Dark Knight Cecil, the game returns to the beginning, but with Cecil retaining his level, stats, and gold.
- No Fair Cheating: Trying to enter Mist from the other side (using the well-known Mist skip glitch from vanilla FFIV) will result in being teleported to the final dungeon, almost inevitably forcing a reset.
- Palette Swap: Many of the new bosses are palette swaps of vanilla FFIV bosses, including a set of 4 underworld fiends.
- Point of No Return: The Lunar Subterrane is now impossible to leave once you enter.
- Shout-Out: The Gold Hourglass is renamed to the Time Egg.
- Theme Naming: The four underworld fiends are also named for Maelbranche from The Divine Comedy.