Fear The Wolves is a First-Person Shooter Battle Royale Game developed by Vostok Games (comprised of employees of GSC Game World) and published by Focus Home Interactive. It was initially released through Steam Early Access in August 2018, with the full PC release following on February 6th, 2019. Console versions were planned at one point, but may never happen now.
In the radiation-ravaged ruins of Chernobyl, one hundred people have been taken and dropped from an airplane into the abandoned city. Desperate to escape via a helicopter, they must fight to be the last man standing and make their exodus from the exclusion zone... but that isn't the only thing they have to worry about. Packs of irradiated wolves roam the wasteland, and a mysterious radioactive phenomenon is covering the area bit by bit. It's up to the survivors to fight through to the chopper... but only one can make it out alive, while the others must fall to their opponents, the wolves, or the storm...
This video game provides examples of:
- Abandoned Area: Chernobyl, natch.
- After the End: Downplayed. The rest of the world is probably fine, but Chernobyl isn't doing so well, with all the mutant wolves and radiation storms.
- Always Accurate Attack: A variant. Bullets will always go right where you aimed them with no bloom, though recoil and aiming are still factors.
- Ambiguous Situation: It hasn't yet been explained why 100 people have been airdropped into Chernobyl and forced to kill each other to escape.
- Apocalyptic Log: The Survivor's recording in the early access trailer, especially since he's implied to die at the end.
- Armor Is Useless: Averted. Armor, like in Player Unknowns Battlegrounds, is essential for surviving gunshots, plus you can find anti-radiation gear to help you survive the storms.
- Badass Normal: The Survivor is implied to be this, since he survived long enough to gain enough survival knowledge to record a message for other survivors.
- Battle in the Rain: The E3 trailer at one point has the main character engaging in a gunfight in a power plant while the rain pours down.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Survivor sees the storms as this:Survivor: It — it's not just a simple shape, it's — it's a creature, always changing and morphing and evolving! You are an invader in its system, and it wants you out!
- Eldritch Location: Chernobyl has become a radioactive wasteland covered in an otherworldly fog prowled by mutated wolves. One shot from the early access trailer shows a forest of swamp full of dead trees and strange glowing red motes in the air.
- The Faceless: The Survivor, since it's covered by a Post Apocalyptic Gasmask.
- Hope Spot: The E3 trailer ends like this: the main character sprints toward the helicopter, but is killed by a wolf before he can get to it.
- Hostile Weather: The radiation storms, which kill anything inside it.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: The Survivor's recording cuts off as the storm hits him, and he's implied to have been killed by the wolves.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: The storms. It's left ambiguous if they're simply a result of the fallout, or something much worse.
- Oh, Crap!: The Survivor has one when he realizes the storm has reached him.
- Post Apocalyptic Gasmask: Essential items for surviving the storms, along with radiation pills.
- Weird Weather: Again, the storms.
- "It's... it's here! I have to go, I have to go! If you get out of here, maybe... maybe I'll see you on the other side. And one more thing — wa(kzzzt) ou(kzzzt) for th—"