In a distant land, there existed a forest where plants and animals lived in musical harmony. But one day evil entities named The Silent Ones came in and began to pose a threat to the forest's plants and creatures. Enter Fe, a fox-like creature who can sing and interact with the creatures and plants of the forest. Singing to each creature and plant will help Fe gain a special new ability which can be used to explore more of the game.
Fe was developed by Zoink! Studios and was the first game under Electronic Arts' new EA Originals platform. The game was developed as an allegory about the relationship of humans with nature and the concept that everything in the world is connected. The game is notable for having no spoken dialogue or written instructions of any kind to assist players.
Has nothing to do with the chemical element iron.
This game provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: Fe's sex is never identified.
- Big Bad: The Silent Ones are harming the forest and everything in it.
- Dramatic Unmask: At the climax, one of the Silent Ones removes its helmet to reveal that it is actually an adult of Fe's species.
- Friend to All Living Things: Fe spends its time travelling the forest, helping animals who have been trapped by the Silent Ones. Fe can befriend almost anything in the forest by singing to them (once you've learned their language). Fe even helps the Silent Ones activate their device during the climax.
- In Harmony with Nature: Quite literally, as the main way to interact with the animals and plants in the forest is by singing with them and matching their pitch.
- Incredibly Long Note: Harmonizing with plants and animals often takes a while, but no matter how long you sing neither party has to stop for breath.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: The Silent Ones are actually adults of Fe's species. The four other Fe-creatures you travel with can be seen during the climax, having been captured by the Silent Ones and placed in armor.
- Silence Is Golden: There is no dialogue, spoken or written, in the game.
- The Speechless: While they have a language of their own, the Silent Ones are the only inhabitants of the forest who lack a natural song language, having lost it at some point in their history. During the climax, you teach a Silent One your language so they can activate their device..