The mod, although taking place in the future, is an alternate history. The main divergences that affect the game are microchips never being invented, the Soviet Union never falling, and the formation of the United Arab Republic.This is not to say there are not more divergences. China never went capitalist, the European Commonwealth started out more centralized, the East African Union unified and fell... so many, and all pushed the world to this.
This Game Mod provides examples of:
- After the End: The End has come! Bandits ride across the desert, once proud nations have turned into tent cities in the wasteland, and city-states barely control their own city. Welcome to the Middle East.
- The Antichrist: Somewhat inverted, as its the Islamic Antichrist. He has no magic powers, and will do what he is foretold to do using charisma and material means.
- Cargo Cult: A number if these have already popped up in the African Wild Belt, treating Soviet and Chinese detritus as well as leftover UN equipment as either sacred items or hand-me-downs from the gods.
- Continuity Nod:
- General Constantine Chase is one of Americas leading commanders. Depending on how the standoff against China plays out, he can wind up either in charge of the occupation forces or become President of a rump US on the Enclaves behalf.
- Should the US lose to China without a nuclear apocalypse, Robert Edwin House can assume power in Las Vegas and break away as the techno-corporate California Republic.
- Crapsack World:
- Western Europe. Formerly the largest democratic nation in Europe, the European Commonwealth has fallen. Italy has broken in two, and left. France has broken off, along with southern Iberia and Germany. Paris, Madrid, Lisbon, Rome, and Milan have all been reduced to ashes, and countless more cities are radioactive slums.
- Sub-Saharan Africa is dubbed the "African Wild Belt." It's a demented free-for-all as various dictatorships, warlord and rival regimes fight each other as civilization collapses. All the while, various African tribes and UN remnants struggle to stand above it all.
- Dirty Communists: Now with Neomaoist and Marxist-Leninist flavors.
- In Spite of a Nail:
- Not only does an exiled, elderly Greta Thunberg still exist in the setting, but serves as Iceland's leader. Similarly, an aging Kim Yo-jong rules over a Korea united under the North, which still upholds Juche well into the 21st Century.
- Even in the absence of nuclear war, should America lose to the Chinese, it's implied that the Enclave still emerges as the dominant power behind the rump USA.
- Just Before the End: As the mod's title suggests. The parts of the world that aren't either close to collapse or in total chaos are on the brink of war. You to get to decide how that "end" plays out.
- The Remnant: Even after the end of the United Nations, UN Peacekeepers in what had been the Congo are revealed to have continued their operations in restoring order.
- Vestigial Empire: The European Commonwealth is still around, but it's significantly reduced and much more unstable. Depending on the player's actions, it could collapse altogether, reassert itself as a genuinely democratic power or turn into a totalitarian dictatorship.
- What If?: Given it takes place before the 2077 Great War, not only is it possible to prevent it from happening, but also to win it without sparking a global nuclear apocalypse. Though it's hinted that this would be very difficult to pull off.