The game is also an Edutainment Game, teaching kids about entomology.
Also has a sequel, Elroy Hits The Pavement.
Elroy Goes Bugzerk contains the following tropes:
- The Ace: The technoloptera, which is why Elroy wants to catch it.
- Alphabet Soup Cans: At multiple points, the player will have to answer multiple-choice questions about bugs, based on facts that were previously shown.
- Bandage Mummy: Upset a swarm of hornets too many times and Elroy ends up in the hospital, wrapped in bandages.
- Bee Afraid: A swarm of hornets prevent Elroy from grabbing a key.
- Blackout Basement: The island. You only reach it at night, so the only light source is a lightning bug.
- Bug Catching: One of Elroy's goals is to catch the technoloptera beetle.
- Chekhov's Classroom: All those insect facts you learn? Better remember them, you'll need them later.
- Hidden Depths: Elroy's step-grandad is implied to also be a big fan of bugs. He admits it in the ending.
- Mechanical Lifeform: The technoloptera looks more like a machine than an organic insect, with its helicopter propeller, stink bombs that it drops by opening a door on its stomach and using a pincer, and its ability to communicate through radio waves.
- Medium Blending: 2D clip-art with monochrome photographs as backgrounds.
- Oh, Crap!: Gordon loses his confident composure when Elroy brings out the technoloptera.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Despite Elroy's step-grandad being responsible for various failing scenarios, in the end he is a pretty easygoing guy and admittedly the rules he does implement are actually fair. He is also happy to drive Elroy to the Insectaton.
- Schmuck Bait: A chicken appears on several screens to taunt Elroy, despite the order to not chase chickens. Chasing it results in a Game Over.
- Spinning Newspaper: The Game Over screen is a newspaper depicting Elroy being punished or recovering from an injury.
- Talking Animal:
- The mockingbird on one screen. It stars off by just repeating what Elroy says, but then starts taunting him outright.
- The technoloptera can talk by broadcasting her thoughts through a nearby radio.
- Timed Mission: If you take too long on certain screens, something happens that results in a game over.