No, it's not the sequel to Drawn to Life
Drawn To Death is a third-person arena shooter based in a high school kid's notebook. Characters fight to the death for their creator's amusement, if they don't they are erased for ever. Players brawl through alien infested towns, pits of blood and ghosts, and even gladiatorial coliseums.
Created by The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency (including David Jaffe, creator of Twisted Metal and God of War), this game is a PlayStation 4 exclusive on the Playstation Network. Originally a "free to play game done right" it instead became a full price title, free for Playstation Plus members only. Instead, the game focuses more on including a lot of mechanics and secrets for players to explore and mess around with. Some weapons are simple such as the FU-47 (the game's standard assault rifle), while some are more complicated such as the Shaxe (a combination shotgun chainsaw with axe blades) that requires a mini-game input for best results. Character's also have a variety of passives, abilities, and specials.
Originally the game was going to be a "free to play game done right", but it was later changed to a full price title on the Playstation Network, free to anyone with a Playstation Plus account. The game is scheduled for release on April 4th, 2017 on the PlayStation 4.
This game provides examples of:
- Abandoned Warehouse: The Swearhouse map is a giant abandoned warehouse with multiple layers of floors that players can fight on.
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: There's one in Alien Town.
- Action Commands: Some weapons and specials require extra inputs to pull off stronger attacks.
- Alien Invasion: One seems to be happening in the Alien Town map.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Characters have missions that unlock extra skins.
- Announcer Chatter: The announcer loves to talk,sometimes going on long monologues about unrelated events. It's hilarious.
- Awesome, but Temporary: The Hand moves you can perform can be game changing, but you can only use one once a match.
- Beehive Barrier: The barrier grenade has this look.
- Big Boo's Haunt: The Bloodbath level.
- Boom, Headshot!: The announcer will praise you for these, sometimes forgetting his "big voice".
- Comeback Mechanic: During a 2v2 match, if one player drops of a team they get a permanent health bonus.
- Cooldown: Special attacks rely on these.
- Critical Hit: The Lucky Bastard has a special bullet that fires off once per clip.
- Critical Status Buff: Diabla Tijuana gains a speed boost and Johnny Savage Turns Red.
- Crosshair Aware: Some weapons display crosshairs that enemies can see when in use, such as Johnny's "Devil's Rift".
- Double Jump: All characters are capable of this. Though Alan can jump higher than the others and Diabla can activate a third jump if she needs to.
- Excuse Plot: The reason the character's are fighting is because they get erased if they don't.
- Finger Gun: Summoning The Hand will allow the players to use a giant lethal version of this trope against their foes.
- Flipping the Bird: This comes up a lot, particularly with the taunts players can use.
- Goodies in the Toilets: The fountain in alien town is adorned with a giant toilet. Jump into it and you'll find the sewers, which holds some useful pickups.
- Hit Points: Characters have 100% max health. This threshold is increased in some game modes, or if you know who Diabla serves as a counter to.
- Holiday Mode: The game updated around Easter to unlock a few free taunts themed on the holiday as well as a few other aesthetic changes like replacing the hearts in one of the match types with giant easter eggs.
- Another update added a bunch of free christmas themed character skins to the game...in the middle of the summer, oddly enough.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: There are hamburgers littered about the arenas. Apparently these are made by the announcer, who hates Alan for refusing to eat them.
- One Bullet Clips
- Power-Up: "BUFF COINS HAVE SPAWNED!"
- Quick Melee: While there are dedicated melee weapons, all character's possess a quick melee option. Alan deserves a special mention for being able to use his chainsaw as a melee weapon, even without an active special attack available.
- Regenerating Mana: Your Puke Punch meter refills over time, but you can find pickups to help yourself out.
- Riddling Sphinx: For ten Blood Keys players can awaken a sleeping sphinx in a special section of the notebook and earn new character skins by solving its riddles.
- Rule of Cool: Most of the weapons don't make sense, but since they come from a teenager's imagination it's to be expected.
- Rule of Funny: The artist's dark humor is all over the place.
- Scenery Gorn: The whole game takes place in the notebook of an edgy high schooler so expect lots of blood, skulls, flames, bodily fluids, demons and crude humor to cover the walls and floors of each of the maps.
- Short-Range Shotgun: The shotgun weapons seem to lose about 90% of their power whenever the player steps outside spitting distance of their opponents. The Sexy Beast in particular is the best example as its damage appears to shift between "brutal death explosion" and "light breeze" depending on whether or not the barrel is two inches from the opponents face when it is fired.
- Slaughterhouse Fight: The Grindhaus map is an extreme exaggeration of the kid's school cafeteria.
- Springs, Springs Everywhere: Characters can get a boost via jump pads that deliver a boot to their ass.
- Story Breadcrumbs: How most of the plot of the game is told.
- Sugar Apocalypse: The Sugar High map added in an update. Compared to the other maps it is very colorful and pleasant to look at. It's also the site of a brutal battle to the death between the player characters and contains just as much dark humor as the rest of the game. The best part? The update also gave out a series of free crayon drawn skins for the player characters so that they don't look out of place while reducing each other to bloody chucks.
- Toilet Humor: All over the place. Everything from the maps to the taunts to the weapons have a bit of this going on.
- Weaponized Landmark: The statue of liberty in the Flood level has a gun. Firing it is an instant kill.
- Your Mom: Some of the insults and taunts.Johnny Savage: "Now that I'm dead who's gonna fuck your mum proper?"