Dragon's Wake is a 2D Platform Game by Brainbox Software, an independent game studio based in Canberra, Australia. This is their first game. It was released on PC through Steam on 11th December, 2015.
The player takes on the role of a newly hatched blue dragon. In the first level the player hatches from their egg, and is then left to explore and learn about the world and their place in it.
This game provides examples of:
- Bow and Sword, in Accord: The Black Knight uses both a crossbow and a sword in his attempts to kill the player.
- Breath Weapon: You are a dragon. You breathe fire.
- Cannibalism Superpower: The player character can heal himself and even increase his abilities by eating creatures.
- Collision Damage: Jackalope horns, ghosts and Goddamn Bats are some of the things that will hurt you on contact.
- Conveniently an Orphan: The player character's mother is shown to have been killed in the second level of the game.
- Difficulty Spike: Most of the game you fly from platform to platform, kill mobs with 1-2 hits... And then final battle happens, where you must dodge knights sword attack, shockwave attack, his arrows and ghosts, all the while trying to hit him. And THEN knight transforms into a ghost that starts to actively chase you!
- Doomed Hometown: the village of lizard people
- Directionally Solid Platforms
- Dragon Rider: There are a few points in the game where the player can choose to carry one of the lizardfolk on their back. The extra weight makes flying more difficult however, so there's good reason not to do it too much.
- Dragons Versus Knights: The player is a young dragon, while the villain is a Black Knight that has already killed several dragons and intends to add the player to that list.
- Golden Ending: The normal ending has the dragon steadily losing friends as they sacrifice themselves to help you progress. But if you save your first ally — the red-scarfed lizardman — you'll set in motion a chain of events that ensures Everybody Lives.
- Having a Blast: In addition to a flamethrower-like Breath Weapon attack the player can also spit exploding fireballs.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Eating meat allows the player to heal their wounds - even in the middle of combat.
- Jump Physics: The dragons have wings that could justify the extreme heights that they can reach when jumping, but the humanoid characters have no such excuse.
- Kill It with Fire: You are a dragon, so naturally there is a lot of this. There's even an achievement with this exact name.
- Magic Knight: The Black Knight can create shockwaves from his sword and has a shield which protects him from a dragons fire breath.
- Monster Knight: Underneath the armor, the Black Knight is actually an undead skeleton.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Of the Western variety. The come on a variety of colors but all the ones depicted breathe fire.
- Our Goblins Are Different: Goblins are one of the types of enemies that the player must fight in the game.
- Platform Game: You tend to fly more than run and jump, but it's still very much a platformer.
- Respawning Enemies: With a few exceptions, enemies will respawn in a level whenever the game is loaded or the player transitions to a new level.
- Retraux: The game is done in a pixel art style which is reminiscent of older systems but doesn't specifically mimic any of them.
- Silence Is Golden: The game uses no text or dialogue to tell the story. Instead, the plot is conveyed through images shown during loading screens, paintings that the player can discover in the levels and the events of the game itself.
- The Undead: A variety of late game enemies, such as skeleton archers and ghosts.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Happens when the Black Knight destroys the Lizardfolk village.
- You Killed My Father: The player character's mother is killed by the Black Knight early in game.
- You Wake Up in a Room: The player character has no memory of his past but in this case that is because he has no past.