In the late 1990s, Rareware had an idea for a new game: Dinosaur Planet. It would be an Action-Adventure game based around an alien planet. The two main characters are anthropomorphic canines named Sabre (a wolf) and Krystal (a fox). Sabre is a knight of the Wolven Tribe, and the son of a powerful wizard named Randorn. Krystal is an orphaned Vixon and Randorn's adopted daughter. Somehow, the two end up transported from their home planet of Animus to Dinosaur Planet, which is threatened by the despotic dictator, General Scales.
Both Sabre and Krystal are playable characters that are used in different sections of the game. They play similarly, with Sabre wielding a sword while Krystal wields a staff. Sabre has a sidekick named Tricky and Krystal's sidekick is Kyte.
Dinosaur Planet was an ambitious title for the Nintendo 64. In development between 1999 and 2000, Dinosaur Planet pushed the hardware capabilities of the dying console. It would have been a swan song... if it had came out as expected. Instead, as the game was a late release title, it was ultimately decided that the game should be moved to the upcoming Nintendo Gamecube. During this phase, Shigeru Miyamoto noticed that the two protagonists, Krystal and Sabre, looked a lot like Fox McCloud of the Star Fox franchise. This comment led to the game being reworked into Star Fox Adventures. As a result of being a Dolled-Up Installment, Star Fox Adventures is a black sheep amongst its series.
Dinosaur Planet was far into development when it was ultimately cancelled. Most, if not all, of the voice acting had been done, much of the game was finished, and it had been shown off at several events. Despite this, the playable version of the game has never been shown to the public and no playable incarnation has ever been found. If you want to play Dinosaur Planet, you'll just have to play Star Fox Adventures.
Dinosaur Planet provides examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife:
- Krystal is a bright blue fox.
- Downer Beginning: Krystal was adopted by Randorn as an infant, specifically to make amends for the fact that he was the one who personally orphaned her when he massacred her entire tribe in a fit of sorrow-induced rage. Krystal was the only one who survived his rampage, and only because she wasn't noticed until he had calmed down enough to be horrified at what he'd done.
- Fantastic Racism: The Wolven Tribe and Vixon Tribe are bitter rivals. The two species generally don't get along, and wars have been fought between them. One such war killed Randorn's elder son - Sabre is the younger.
- Frothy Mugs of Water: Averted. Randorn hates it when there's barely any whiskey around, and he especially hates hangovers.
- The Generalissimo: General Scales is a militaristic despot who defends his actions with the excuse that without fear to control them, Dinosaur Planet would fall into anarchy.
- Interspecies Romance: Sabre is a wolf and Krystal is a fox, but there's a romance between them nevertheless.
- Kid Sidekick: Tricky and Kite are two young dinosaurs who tag along with Sabre and Krystal.
- Leave No Survivors: After the death of his son, Randorn wasn't in the best mood.
- Not Blood Siblings: Sabre and Krystal are love interests despite being adopted siblings.
- One-Man Army: Randorn was able to take out an entire Vixon tribe, by himself.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Randorn sent one of his sons off to war, only for said son to die in battle. Randorn's grief and anger led him to wander off, find a camp of Vixon, and kill everyone but Krystal.
- Sole Survivor: Krystal is the only survivor of her tribe.
- Warrior Prince: Sabre is both a prince and a knight.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Randorn.
- World of Funny Animals: Dinosaur Planet is populated by non-anthropomorphic dinosaurs, while Animus is populated by Funny Animal canids.
- Would Hurt a Child: Randorn killed literally everyone in an entire vixon tribe, except for Krystal. It's safe to say that Krystal wasn't the only child in the tribe.