Day Dreamin' Davey is a video game developed by Sculptured Software and published by HAL Laboratory for the Nintendo Entertainment System in June 1992. The game stars the titular Davey on a boring day in school, but he keeps falling into daydreams, for example, when a school bully steals his pencil and he goes into the Middle Ages.
The game plays like an adventure game in which our hero walks around three different dream worlds and collects items to progress.
This game provides examples of:
- Asleep in Class: Davey repeatedly falls asleep in class, and once in the principal's office.
- Blasting It Out of Their Hands: In all three Wild West stages you'll face off with gun-slinging bandits at the end of each stage, where Davey has to blast the guns off of their hands before they shoot at you. The higher the Wild West stage number is, the more bandits' guns you'll shoot out of their hands at the end.
- Classical Cyclops: There's a cyclops in the Greek mythology-inspired stage that Davey has to destroy by attacking his eye. In reality, the "cyclops" he imagined state turns out to be a girl whom he just hit in the eye in class.
- Conversation Casualty: Many knights in the Medieval stages can talk in Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe and give out info before Davey can kill them.
- The Ferryman: One of the stages of Ancient Greece has Charon in Hades' underworld lair who will guide Davey through the River Styx at the cost of one coin.
- Kid Hero: Davey is a "hero" and he still goes to early school.
- Medusa: One of the Gorgon Sisters that Davey must defeat in one Ancient Greece stage.
- Mr. Imagination: Davey himself, since his imaginative daydreams often lead to trouble at school.
- Password Save: Five letter passwords are used to save progress.
- Quicksand Sucks: There are floors in Hades' Underworld lair (Ancient Greece) and the Medieval Swamp (Medieval Times) that can make you sink down like quicksand and swallow you up if you stay on the floor for too long.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Davey says this (without the "Screw This" part) when the classmate girl asks him for help with homework in the ending.
- Sleep Walking: Davey leaves his desk and picks up a ruler while he's dreaming.
- The Wild West: One of the dream worlds.
- To Hell and Back: Davey has to get though Hades' Underworld Lair not once, but two times. The first time is in Ancient Greece, when he had to pay Charon one coin to get through the lair while avoiding being sunk in quicksand and defeat the three-headed Cerberus. The second time is in the final level of the Wild West, where he has to go through a tunnel to... Hades' Underworld lair. Fortunately, Hades has to get Davey to the other side in order to reach the OK Corral.
- Would Hit a Girl: Parodied. When Davey kills the cyclops in the Ancient Greece stage, it turns out he just hit the classmate girl in the eye.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Some NPCs in the Middle Ages speak this way.