This page contains unmarked spoilers for the first game. Read at your own risk.
...but hope will ride with those courageous enough to carry...
Darkest Dungeon 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed 2016 Gothic Horror Dungeon Crawling RPG Darkest Dungeon, developed by Red Hook Studios. Not much is currently known of the plot, but Red Hook did an interview with PC Gamer in which they stated that the game will focus on the global repercussions of the Ancestor's unearthing of the Heart of Darkness.
Previews: "The Howling End"
Promotional materials for Darkest Dungeon 2 contain the following tropes:
- After the End: Heavily implied, with the Ancestor's monologue in the teaser mentioning the "howling darkness of the end".
- Arc Symbol: The shape of the Stress symbol briefly forms out of snow around the mountain.
- Artifact Title: The first game's title was a reference to the game's Very Definitely Final Dungeon, but this game moves away from the Estate where the eponymous Dungeon was located.
- Continuity Cavalcade: The Team Shot in the teaser shows that the Hellion, the Leper, the Highwayman, the Plague Doctor, the Grave Robber, and the Man-at-Arms will all be coming back, to say nothing of the Ancestor's return.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: The "Howling End" teaser prominently features a snowy mountain.
- Genre Shift: The PC Gamer interview stated that the game will be about "enduring a grueling journey, not cleaning up your backyard."
- Game Master: If the teaser trailer is any indication, the Ancestor once again takes the role of the commenting narrator of your gruesome, stress filled journey.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: If you look closely, the mountain in the teaser trailer has the faces of a number of Eldritch Abominations trapped in the ice.
- Walking the Earth: The Heroes of the first game will apparently be doing this in order to try and clean up the rest of the world from the Heart of Darkness's release, described as a "grueling journey".