Dark Wizard is a Strategy RPG video game developed by Sega and released in 1994 for the Sega CD. You have the choice of playing as one of four monarchs, each with their own story and units.
Dark Wizard contains examples of:
- Back from the Brink: The player, as the latest successor to King Armer VIII, starts with the tiniest, most-defeated remnant of the Holy Army (three unnamed units) that's been squirreled away in the far-off wastelands of Quentin. While a professional army made up of the much-stronger equipment-wearing, magic-using units is impossibly expensive for your tiny starting tax base, you can still fight using a never-ending stream of summoned Mon, just like all of your opponents. Extra points because the first enemy you fight is a glorified warrior unit called "Warlord," who is the weakest spell-caster and summoner out of all the enemy generals.
- For Want of a Nail: Who you choose to play as, affects who takes up leadership of the kingdom from Armer VIII, as well as how he dies.
- Armer IX, the crown prince, obviously becomes king upon his father's peaceful passing. Robin, similarly, is told that the king's last words were for her to be a just a loyal ruler in his place.
- Amon and Krystal both murder the king, the former pulling a Twin Switch of sorts by disguising himself as Armer, while the latter is tricked into killing him and tries to right her wrong by leading the kingdom against the enemy.
- Medusa: The game has the Medusa Head as an item that can be used to petrify enemies. There's also Gorgon's Tails, which are the antidote to petrification.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Each of the four main characters, have these.