Crystal Crisis is a color-matching falling blocks puzzle game from Nicalis currently in development for the Nintendo Switch. It serves as a counterpart to Blade Strangers and features characters from various games the company has been involved with, along with a few unexpected guests.
The game is designed for competitive play and blocks are cleared out when matched with a Crystal of their same color, similar to Puzzle Fighter. Scoring chains causes garbage blocks to fill the opponent's field. Those can't be cleared but turn into normal blocks after a few seconds. Characters can also build their Burst Meter to pull off a super move that can help them or hinder their opponent.
- Cave Story: Quote, Curly Brace, Ballos
- The Binding of Isaac: Isaac
- Tezuka Productions: Atom, Black Jack.
- Code of Princess: Solange Blanchefleur de Luxe
- 1001 Spikes: Aban Hawkins, Tina Hawkins, Jim Hawkins
- The Tempura of the Dead: President Thompson, Zombie
- Akuji the Demon: Akuji
- Hydra Castle Labyrinth: Hydra Knight
- Umihara Kawase: Umihara Kawase
- TurboDuo: Johnny Turbo
- Blade Strangers: Helen
- Original Generation: Cedric, Ninja, Elise
This game features the following tropes:
- Artifact of Doom: The Red Crystal, said to have been created for the sole purpose of destroying the universe.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Three of this game's characters (Cedric, Ninja, and Elise) are from unannounced games that are still in development, yet they're making their debut here.
- Falling Blocks: That must be matched with special blocks to be cleared.
- Guest Fighter: Both Atom and Black Jack from Tezuka Productions serve as this here.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Quote, the main character from Cave Story is playable and his name is plainly written out like it's nothing. In the original game, Quote's name was only revealed on the path to the Golden Ending. It's clear that Nicalis no longer considers Quote's name a spoiler.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Between various Nicalis games, a few Original Generation characters, and a handful of out-there guest fighters!
- Mythology Gag: Astro flexing his muscles is something of a stock pose for him. When scoring chains, Astro either does a roundhouse kick or fires his Finger Laser with animations that are straight out of Astro Boy: Omega Factor.
- Promoted to Playable: The infamous and long-forgotten NEC mascot Johnny Turbo, who has remained in limbo since the early 90's, not only makes his return in this game, but is also a playable character!
- Spiritual Successor: Is considered this to Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.