Crude Buster is a 1990 Arcade Game by Data East which was ported to the Sega Genesis in 1992. Released internationally under the Market-Based Title of either Two Crude or Two Crude Dudes, the game is a Beat 'em Up, and something of a spiritual sequel to Bad Dudes.
The year is 20XX. A nuclear weapon combined with chemicals made by a mad scientist explodes in the city of New York, turning many of the city's inhabitants into savage mutants under his control. The madman establishes an organization he calls "Big Valley," consisting of these mutants and many advanced military weapons, and takes the ruined city by force. Desperate, the US government hires two super-powered mercenaries to enter the city and eliminate the villains occupying it.
Players control either Ruth or his partner Sid by jumping, dodging and attacking their way through legions of enemies. Because the main characters are muscle-bound brawlers, they have the ability to pick up objects well beyond their own weight (e.g. cars and traffic lights) to use as weapons. While playing co-op, it is also possible for one player to pick up the other to use as a projectile.
The game later received a Genesis port which, along with the inevitable graphical and sound downgrade, featured subtly different stage designs and enemies, and also added bonus rounds where the player could heal in real time by punching vending machines filled with "Power Cola," causing consumable soda cans to fall out.
- After the End: The setting is a post-apocalyptic New York, albeit with cyborgs, mutants, and monsters.
- The Ahnold: Both of the protagonists.
- Bad Santa: Psycho Santa runs around pulling bombs and syringes out of his sack and throwing them at you.
- Boss Rush: The final stage has you re-fight the bosses of the first five stages in succession.
- Bullfight Boss: The Stage 3 boss.
- Color-Coded Multiplayer: Ruth is gold and Sid is green.
- Gender-Blender Name: Player 1 is a man named Ruth.
- Degraded Boss: Some of the midbosses of the earlier levels reappear as regular enemies in later levels.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: You can pick up and throw enemies, damaging both them and the people they hit.
- Head Swap: Player 1 (Ruth) has a faux hawk and Player 2 (Sid) has a bald mohawk hairstyle.
- Improvised Weapon: Constantly. In every level, you're rarely more than a few feet from a convenient car, pole, traffic sign, rock, or other heavy object that you can chuck (or swing) at an enemy.
- Mad Scientist: The leader of Big Valley, and the final boss of the game.
- Monumental Damage: The wrecked Statue of Liberty is visible in one level.
- "Number of Objects" Title: The Two Crude or Two Crude Dudes Market-Based Title, referring to the two player character options.
- One-Hit Kill: Most of the bosses have at least one cheap attack that can kill you even at full health.
- One-Winged Angel: The mad scientist appears at the end of the game as the final boss, which is initially comical because he's half the size of the musclebound Crude Dudes. But then he transforms into his monstrous form, and the final battle is on!
- Product Placement: In between stages in the Japanese arcade version, the characters beat up a Budweiser vending machine for drinks. Averted in the non-Japanese versions, where "Power Cola" replaced Budweiser.
- Spiritual Successor: To Bad Dudes.
- Super Strength: The Crude Dudes can pick up and throw cars, enemies, and each other without breaking a sweat.
- Telephone Polearm: Larger poles are thrown while smaller ones are used as clubs. You can also throw cars.
- Vertical Kidnapping: The signature move of the spider boss.
- Victory Pose: After beating the boss of each level, the Crude Dudes do a victory pose that wouldn't look out of place in a bodybuilding magazine.
- Wall Crawl: Some of the enemies crawl along the stage's background wall before dropping down to fight you.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: The Crude Dudes don't wear shirts, only open vests that leave little of their HeroicBuilds to the imagination.
- Whip It Good: The boss of the first level wears a giant snake that he can both whip you with and throw at you.