Crisis on the Planet of the Apes is a 2018 VR game set in the world of the movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes and its sequels. Set a few years after the first movie, the player takes the role of an intelligent ape trying to escape from a human facility where it is being held for experimentation.
This work contains examples of:
- Air-Vent Passageway: The escaping ape travels through the air vents part of the way.
- Faceless Goons: The human guards are all wearing identical hoods and masks, justified in-universe as precautions against the Simian Flu.
- Pop-Up Texting: The apes communicate in sign language, with a subtitle translation floating next to the ape that's signing.
- Shout-Out: Signage indicates that the industrial building housing the experimental facility was previously home to Boulle Brothers Butchers, established 1912. This is a reference to Pierre Boulle (born 1912), the author of the original Planet of the Apes.
- You Are Number 6: The protagonist is given the identification number 139 by its human captors.