Crisis on the Planet of the Apes is a 2018 VR game set in the world of the movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes and its sequels. Set five years after the first movie, the player takes the role of an intelligent ape trying to escape from a human facility where it is being held for experimentation.
This work contains examples of:
- Air-Vent Passageway: The escaping ape travels through the air vents part of the way.
- Faceless Goons: The human guards are all wearing identical hoods and masks, justified in-universe as precautions against the Simian Flu.
- Vehicular Assault: A helicopter is constantly harassing the protagonist through the game and serves as the final boss.
- Pop-Up Texting: The apes communicate in sign language, with a subtitle translation floating next to the ape that's signing.
- Shout-Out: Signage indicates that the industrial building housing the experimental facility was previously home to Boulle Brothers Butchers, established 1912. This is a reference to Pierre Boulle (born 1912), the author of the original Planet of the Apes.
- Throwaway Country: At the start it is mentioned that Spain has gone dark and Australia has reported the first cases of infection.
- You Are Number 6: The protagonist is given the identification number 139 by its human captors.