Your friends have been kidnapped by the villainous Lord of the Swampyards, Stratolustrious Von Danderbreak the 37th (just Strato for short). Now you've gotta go rescue them. It shouldn't take too long, maybe a two-to-four hours. Doesn't sound too exciting, huh?
Well, what if we told you each adventure was different? Different lands to explore, different enemies to face, different people to meet, and all of it got recorded in the Heroic Hallitorium so you can see how your adventures stack up against each other, and against the adventures your friends have?
THAT is the real hook of this game. It's a Roguelike full of a ton of different things to see and do, and places to go.
Crayon Chronicles contains examples of:
- Alliterative Title: Crayon Chronicles.
- Bee Afraid: The Spelling Bee enemies.
- Big Bad: Stratolustrious Von Danderbreak the 37th (or just Strato for short) who kidnapped your friends.
- Cane Fu: One of the weapons you can wield is a cane.
- Dem Bones: Graveyard features Half-Buried Bone Archers, which essentially act as immobile turrets.
- Elite Mooks: Every enemy type has a Dire version with improved stats. They are represented by scaled-up sprites that also have a thick red outline around them.
- Fog of War: Many levels have parts of them concealed by fog. Late-game undead-filled areas upgrade it to Smelly Fog.
- Informed Equipment: Averted. All the gear you wear and wield will be reflected on your character's sprite.
- Improbable Weapon User: Early-game weapons include tools like saws and rulers.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: You can carry shields in the off-hand slot for the sake of a block chance.
- Luck Stat: One of your character's four primary stats, along with Power, Dodge and Aim.
- Multiple Head Case: One of the characters you encounter in the game is a two-headed female ogre.
- No Fourth Wall: Even the opening cutscene features phrases like "It's just not safe being an NPC in this town anymore."
- Our Zombies Are Different: The Zombie Pits area has you regularly face off against Headless Zombies, Durable Zombies, or (just as often) a whole Undead Horde bunched up into one tile.
- Plant Person: The Zombie Tree include Creepy Trees as one of the enemies you'll face.
- Punny Name: Some of the enemies have names like "Spelling Bee", "Illiter-Rat" or ArcHive.
- Rare Candy: Stale Outmeal Cookies boost your character's max HP by 1 point, Stale Sugar Cookies do the same for luck, etc.
- Rascally Raccoon: Book Bandits are brown raccoons.
- Serrated Blade of Pain: One of the basic weapons that you may even find in the starting room is a humble wood saw. It realistically deals a mere 2-3 damage a turn.
- Sinister Scythe: One of the available two-handed weapons.
- Spiky Hair: The male Player Character has spiky yellow hair.
- The Von Trope Family: He IS called Stratolustrious VON Danderbreak the 37th.
- You Dirty Rat!: The Illiter-Rats enemies.