Confess My Love is a Freeware Game released on Steam in 2017, focusing on a boy named Willie stuck repeatedly trying to confess his feelings to his classmate, Liza. The game, having twenty different endings, involves plenty of secrets and twists to discover through exploration and trial-and-error, with minor differences between each game that build up to the final ending.
A sequel to the game, Transparent Black was released in the same year.
Download it here.
Tropes that appear in this work:
- Bittersweet Ending: Willie was Dead All Along, and the classroom is basically his own personal purgatory, subconsciously created from his regret of never letting Liza know his feelings, and the fear of being rejected by her. Willie confesses to Julie that he's not exactly sure about what he expects from declaring his feelings to Liza, he still wishes to see her happy all the same. Come Ending 20, and Julie does exactly that, leaving the cake that Willie bought moments before his death at Liza's desk, as a last gesture.
- Dead All Along: The final ending reveals that everything Willie goes through is a result of his being dead and reliving his past failures. Julie, by extension, is "something like a demon" that decided to watch the events unfold since circa the second loop, out of curiosity.
- Foreshadowing: Several bad endings hint out the events of Transparent Black, such as the knife in the drawer and Demonic!Liza.
- Guide Dang It!: Being able to access the "Mutated Room" and get the final few endings, as the player must complete multiple unrelated steps in the short amount of time they have— and this only gives a one in three shot, so players who do it correctly unknowingly may still never find out how to actually access the "Mutated Room".
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: The game keeps on repeating, with Willie trying every single day to win Liza's heart. This is a result of Willie's being dead.
- Incompatible Orientation: Ending 9 has Liza confessing to Willie that she likes girls when he confesses his feelings for her.
- Isometric Projection: The game takes on an isometric perspective.
- Multiple Endings: Twenty, to be exact; and many require finding a number of other endings before they can be unlocked.
- Revealing Continuity Lapse: During each repetition, minor things change around the room, such as the sudden appearance of a new character named Julie, the title screen characters becoming silhouettes, and the discovery of a knife, showing things slowly becoming stranger and darker.
- Sanity Slippage: Willie goes through one after enough endings had passed and the player gains access to the "Mutated Room". In this special ending, Liza turns into a demon and attempts to kill Willie. Back in the real world, Willie then gets flashbacks about the event, freaks out, and stabs Liza.
- School Setting Simulation: The game takes place in a single school classroom for the entire duration of the game. You play as Willie, who is stuck in a "Groundhog Day" Loop of trying to confess his love for Liza, just before they leave class. As such, waiting too long to talk to her and allowing her to leave the school triggers at least two endings.
- Surprise Creepy: The game is pretty innocent for a while, until the player finds a knife, and Liza becomes a wraith-like creature in the "Mutated Room". And then one of the possible endings that can only happen immediately after that involves Willie himself losing his temper and stabbing Liza dead!