Concussion is a short quest mod for Fallout 4 that is available on all three of the major gaming platforms. The story begins with the Sole Survivor finding a note in Diamond City telling of an endangered child and a hefty cap reward for the brave hero who performs a rescue. From there the player makes their way to a nearby manhole marked with a large teddy bear and things begin taking a...decidedly dark turn. Concussion combines a high-level gauntlet of enemies and Psychological Horror to provide a very unique and memorable experience. The fun only lasts about an hour or so, but for players who enjoyed the haunted punga bog in Point Lookout or the drugged out tribal hunting trip in Honest Hearts this mod manages to be an excellent follow-up adventure. PS4. Xbox One. PC.
This Game Mod Provides Examples of:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: The mod begins in one...then things start to get weird. It also ends in one.
- And I Must Scream: It's implied that some part of the Sole Survivor's mind is fully aware of their dire situation and virtually powerless to do anything about it aside from trying to wake themselves up before they are devoured by a massive swarm of bugs.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: The entire mod right up until the end is all taking place inside of the player's head after being knocked out on their way into the sewer. It's heavily implied that the voice they see on the terminals and keys is their own subconscious trying to wake them up.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Insects, particularly Radroaches, are a common theme throughout the mod and attack constantly. This is because the player is being slowly devoured by a large swarm of insects while unconscious.
- Buried Alive: Some of the rooms have this feel to them, with piled dirt and skeletons visible outside the windows. It's pretty creepy. The fact that this is all inside the player's own house makes it even worse.
- Eaten Alive: This is happening to the player character, who hit their head upon entering the sewer and must now wake up before they become bug food.
- Enemy Civil War: At one point the player comes across a massive area filled with powerful Gunners, Super Mutants, Mirelurks and even a few Sentry Bots and Deathclaws. Trying a direct approach here at lower levels is suicide, but with a bit of careful planning its possible to lure them all into attacking each other due to their close proximity. Afterwards it becomes much easier to pick off the survivors or simply run past them.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: At one point the player is shrunk down to the size of a bug in their own house and must fight off similarly tiny armies of Gunners, robots and other monsters.
- Psychological Horror: This mod is very reminiscent of the trippy bog hallucinations in Fallout 3.
- Schmuck Bait: A mysterious note promising vast riches for a simple rescue? That can't possibly be a trap! Unsurprisingly, it was placed by a group of raiders seeking to lure potential victims into a sewer ambush just outside Diamond City.
- Spoiler Title: The name of the mod pretty much ruins the big twist at the end that the Sole Survivor had slipped on their way down into the sewer and hit their head at the very beginning, resulting in most of the story being just a dream except for the end where they wake up and escape.