A 1991 Platform Game. Developed by Core Design and published by Virgin Games.
Chuck is enjoying a pretty swell life, until his longtime rival Gary Gritter kidnaps his wife, the beautiful Ophelia.
Naturally, Chuck is having none of this, and sets off on a quest through five stages to rescue Ophelia and put Gary in his place. Chuck can fend off foes with his belly, jump kicking them, and of course, picking up and chucking rocks at them.
The game was released for various systems. You'd be hard pressed to find a game console during the 16-bit era that didn't have this game.
The game got a sequel, Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck released a year later and stars Chuck's son, Chuck Jr.
This video game contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Gary Gritter.
- Big Boo's Haunt: The first half of stage 5 takes place in a dinosaur graveyard.
- Damsel in Distress: Ophelia Rock.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Grabbing nearby rocks and throwing them at enemies is just one of the few things Chuck can do to fight enemies.
- Exposed to the Elements: Chuck explores a Slippy-Slidey Ice World in nothing but a grass skirt, and isn't affected by it at all. He even swims in the water with no ill effects.
- Green Hill Zone: Level 1.
- Hailfire Peaks: Each round has a setting usually mixed with another one. As this game takes place in Prehistoria, its a theme mixed with something else.
- Hearts Are Health: The Life Meter is measured by a single heart that gets smaller and smaller if damage is taken.
- I Have Your Wife: Gary Gritter has kidnapped Chuck's wife! Are you a bad enough caveman to rescue her?
- Meaningful Name: Chuck Rock...chucks rocks.
- Oxygen Meter: Chuck's head in the HUD slowly turns blue when you are underwater.
- Prehistoria: The game's overall setting.
- Re-Release Soundtrack: The Sega CD version has tunes not heard in the SNES and Genesis versions.
- Slapstick: Chuck attacks enemies by belly-bumping them with his massive gut, among other things. The enemies are very goofy and humorous as well.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Level 4.
- Stout Strength: Chuck has quite a gut on him, but he's capable of lifting heavy rocks and tossing them.
- Toilet Humor: In the Amiga Version, be careful walking under a big dinosaur in Level 1, as he literally craps on you.
- Underground Level: Level 2.
- Under the Sea: Level 3, where Chuck explores an underground lake.
- Womb Level: Chuck has to explore the innards of a (dying) dinosaur in the second part of Stage 5.