Chipper & Sons Lumber Co. is a construction and management game produced by Scott Cawthon in the days before Five Nights at Freddy's. In this happy little game, you play as Tyke, a young beaver who is just starting out in the lumber business, who must chop down trees, collect and sell wood (allowing your father, Chipper to turn it into lumber at his mill), and buy or find various items to make your business easier to run.
The game was made in 2013 for iOS and Android, and came in two versions, Full and Plus. The Full version is free while the Plus version is a paid app that allows you to get special items early in advance. The game was also pitched to Steam Greenlight, but it was pulled a day later after Scott received scathing criticism regarding the art style and how the characters looked like "animatronic dolls". Those same critiques was later used to make Five Nights at Freddy's, the game that put Scott on the map for good.
Chipper & Sons Lumber Co. contains examples of:
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: Some minor characters just wear hats.
- Aside Glance: Occasionally, Tyke seems to be asking the player, "Can you believe this?" when his dad says a bunch of rather questionable stuff.
- Bamboo Technology: Played with. While you may need some additional parts (usually gained from random drops), most of the items you'll construct are made from lumber.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Everyone else except for Seabill, who wears galoshes.
- The Cameo: Look closely to spot the main character from Scott's other pre-Freddy game series, The Desolate Hope.
- Crapsaccharine World: The game looks cutesy and kiddy, aside from the Uncanny Valley aesthetic. That said, some of the stuff Mr. Chipper says really delves into Nightmare Fuel and Fridge Horror.
- Dummied Out: Looking in the game data hints that there are supposed to be two extra versions released, Trial and Super. The Trial version is obvious as it limits the amount of stuff you can build (there's an unused graphic that says "Full Version Only", most likely placed on the later blueprints), but the Super version is a complete mystery. It's likely used for a later update that never happened, or it was dropped in favor of the Plus version.
- There's also some unused graphics that allows you to adjust the volume of the game, even allowing you to turn it off. It may seem like the game originally allows you to use your music player while playing the game, as some apps allow you to play your own tunes instead of the default tracks, but there's some unused text that says "For the best experience, please silence any other music already playing on your phone!". This may be before Scott figured out how to disable the music player while the game is running.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Beavers (such as Tyke and Chipper) always wear overalls. No shirt or anything else, though.
- Running Gag: Starting from day 2 and onwards, Tyke gets a date as a reward for his hard work. This turns out to be a disaster for him because Chipper keeps on picking the girl that isn't his type, causing him to back away in sheer awkwardness. That is until Tyke destroys Father Tree, and Chipper finally finds a date that is definitely the kind he's looking for, and it's from his own species.
- Stepford Smiler: Even in-universe, people find Fun Fungal, the grinning mushroom a bit creepy...
- World of Funny Animals: Beavers, seagulls, owls, fish, even termites.