Cell to Singularity: Evolution Never Ends is an Idle Game for Windows computers and mobile devices released in 2018. In it, your goal is to start with the most basic of things like amino acids and DNA, then evolve the world by researching upgrades and new life forms until you reach singularity.
This game provides examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: Due to the nature of upgrades, it's very much possible to skip things that would have likely came out before a reached time period. For example, you can get to the Industrial Revolution without inventing music, or have computers before television.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The game starts to mention that you're playing it eventually, with the Information Age being described as "The age you're playing this game in. This game is possible because of this age.", Video Games stating "You're playing one right now!", and Game Engine stating "This game was made in one of these."
- But Thou Must!: The only option available is "Yes" when the game asks you if you want to take part in the experiment.
- Expansion Pack: On Christmas Eve 2019, the game received the Dinosaur Evolution Expansion that added a whole new tree of upgrades involving dinosaurs.
- Magikarp Power: Rover at first seems like a far cry compared to the previous Idea increasers, but getting several upgrades allows it to outclass them.
- Microtransactions: Darwinium can be purchased to speed up production or get other bonuses. 1 Darwinium costs approximately 4 cents.
- New Game+: Purchasing Singularity for the first time results in a simulation crash and game reset, allowing you to spent newly earned Metabits based on how much Entropy and Idea was cumulatively earned for special upgrades. Later on you can just reset for Metabits whenever you need to.
- Not-Actually-Cosmetic Award: Claiming an earned achievement grants a fairly large amount of Entropy and Idea. The last achievement of a line grants one Darwinium.
- Play Every Day: Buying Cytoplasm unlocks the Daily Reward Panel.
- Shout-Out: The achievement for getting 25 fish is called "Just Keep Swimming".
- The Singularity: Late into the Emergent Age you lead humanity into singularity by researching AI, Mind Upload and Self Assembly. Actually buying it for the first time results in the game resetting for Metabits.
- Snail Mail: The E-Mail description celebrates it and states "Snail mail no more!"
- Tech Tree: The initial display of all your life and upgrades is done with branches and nodes, with the game calling it "Tech Tree of Life". There are several other tech trees unlocked later.
- You Have Researched Breathing: Since this a game about evolution, you often have to research simple organs like lungs or actions like cooking.