The year is 1666. A mysterious countess attempts to resurrect Dracula by bringing him through a portal. Since there is no Belmont available to fight them, the Powers That Be pull two Belmonts from different time periods into the year 1666 to fight the forces of evil. These two are Sonia Belmont from the year 1450 (who debuted in Castlevania Legends), and Victor Belmont (a new character) from the late 1800s, who had tried to break from his family's lineage of vampire hunters.
As previously mentioned, Resurrection was canceled partway through development. It is widely believed that Konami didn't have faith in the fledgling Dreamcast and decided to jump ship, as the cancelation was announced on the same day that Sony revealed the PlayStation 2. The game became something of a myth amongst the video game community due to the known existence of a working demo, which didn't surface until 2021 and leaked on the internet. The demo is notably incomplete with missing collisions, a roll mechanic that doesn't work and broken set-pieces where obstacles are missing or don't work. At least you can still play as Sonia in a selection of levels.
Resurrection would have provided examples of:
- Action Girl: Sonia.
- Enemies with Death: Death would have showed up as usual, and with a Cool Horse to boot.
- Number of the Beast:
- The year the game is set in, 1666.
- Sonia is taken from the year 1450, which is 216 years prior to 1666. 216 is 6 cubed, or 6*6*6.
- Also a meaningful year because the game was supposed to be set in London, and this is the year of the Great Fire.
- One-Winged Angel: Both Dracula and the Countess.
- Refusal of the Call: Subverted. Victor wanted nothing to do with his family's job as vampire hunters, but he ended up becoming one anyway.
- The Bus Came Back: Or it would have, had this game not been canceled it would have been the second time Sonia from Castlevania Legends was even in a Castlevania title, let alone a main, playable character.
- The Dragon: The Countess (her real name is unknown).
- Time Travel: 216 years forward for Sonia, 200-something years backward for Victor.
- Whip It Good: The Vampire Killer, wielded by both of our heroes.