Its story is a combination of present-day narrative, where a pregnant woman walks along the beach, and the fantastical gameplay, where a nameless princess navigates highly abstract labyrinths of her kingdoms, tasked by her mother to stop the monster destroying it. At the end of each princess level, the woman on the beach will recall the childhood memories those levels were associated with during the present day, thus connecting the two narratives.
Tropes present in Bound:
- Amazing Technicolor Population: The princess has a skin tone that ranges from dark green to purple, depending on the lighting.
- Art Shift: Bound goes from the largely realistic graphics on the beach, to highly abstract and polygonal artstyle of the princess' world, to the claymation-like art of the memory cutscenes.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Checkpoints are frequent, so falling off is not a big concern.
- Floating Platforms: These appear about 10 minutes into the game. They can be both motionless, or moving purple ones.
- Idle Animation: Here, the main character will start doing gymnast's stretches if left alone, to prepare herself for the obstacles you'll put her through soon enough.
- One-Way Visor: Both the princess and her mother wear masks that are essentially purple one-way visors covering their entire faces.
- Player Death Is Dramatic: Downplayed: dying instantly breaks up the body of the princess into a cloud of blue polygons, which is dramatic, but happens very quickly, and the game loads the previous checkpoint immediately after that. However, she still has the remains of that blue cloud trailing her for the next few seconds after respawning.
- Slasher Smile: The nameless monster wears the same visor as the princess and her mother, but it has a wide crack near its bottom corner that forms such a smile.
- Speaking Simlish: The princess and the other denizens of the kingdom converse in whisper-like sounds.
- Temporary Platform: Blue and purple-colored pillars will collapse under the princess' weight.
- Wall Jump: Present, though the princess can only do it in between red plates on the walls.