Boris and the Dark Survival is an indie Dungeon Crawler / Rougelike Horror game developed by Joey Drew Studios. note
The game is a Spin-Off of Bendy and the Ink Machine, purposed to tide fans over before Bendy and the Dark Revival 's release, featuring the titular Boris the Wolf as he ventures into the studio in order to scavenge supplies, including cogs, radios, plungers, wrenches, and bones. All the while, he is hunted by the infamous ink demon, Bendy.
In addition to supplies, Boris can also unlock lockers in order to find scraps - which create a mural in the safehouse - and musical tunes for the radio.
It was released on Feburary 10th, 2020 for PC as well as mobile. It is unknown at this time if a console rendition is planned.
Boris and the Dark Survival provides examples of:
- Anti-Frustration Features: Any collectibles, such as scraps and music, will be retained even if the player dies before completing the floor.
- Apocalyptic Log: Not as many as the last game, but there are still a few to be found.
- Art Initiates Life: Just as in Bendy and the Ink Machine, both the Ink Demon and Boris are made from ink.
- Ascended Extra: Boris, who just followed Henry in Bendy and the Ink Machine, is now the protagonist of this game.
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase: The game's title keeps up the series trend.
- Darkness = Death: Bendy is always accompanied by a dark web of ink that surrounds him and crawls along the floor and walls.
- Easter Egg:
- When exploring the studio, you may come across an ink-covered film reel or an ink heart. Interacting with either will prompt the Projectionist's scream from Bendy and the Ink Machine to play.
- Boris may come across holes in the wall he can peek through, accompanied by a message written in ink that simply says "Look." Several things can appear in the room within, including a Bendy Cut-Out accompanied by the iconic sound, and even theMeatly himself. Messages will also appear on the wall in the back, such as 'Embrace your Demise.'
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Boris is this, wearing only overalls. Bendy to an extent as well, as he wears only a glove and bowtie, but is more of a demon than an animal.
- Jump Scare: Unlike in the previous title, Bendy actually will do this upon killing you.
- Notice This: All items that Boris needs to collect will glow yellow. Items in opened lockers will even have a little sparkle effect.
- Randomly Generated Levels: Every floor has a random layout, with plenty of rooms for the randomizer to pick from.