BoomBots is a Fighting Game released in 1999 for PlayStation and published by SouthPeak Games. It was created by Doug TenNapel, best known as the creator of Earthworm Jim, and was the third and final game developed by his The Neverhood studio. Like The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys, BoomBots features distinctive Claymation visuals and various amounts of Toilet Humor. The big difference here is that the graphics are rendered in 3D. The only connection to The Neverhood is an unlockable stage there and if you win, you can play as Klaymen.
In the much too distant future, 500,000,000,000 A.D., alien cats have kidnaped all of the Earth's house cats! Fortunately, the brilliant American scientist Dr. Pick has built an array of robots to retrieve them at the alien cat planet. Those pesky alien cats aren't gonna make things easy for our band of bots as they have their own BoomBots waiting to attack at every corner. Now it's up to your BoomBot, or Klaymen, to fight your way through victory.
Incoming tropes from Dr. Pick!
- A Winner Is You: After you defeat the final boss, you get a brief cutscene of the alien cat planet getting blown up followed by Dr. Pick congratulating you for your hard work.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Dr. Pick sometimes does this in his text messages.
- Canada, Eh?: There's a hockey-playing bot named O Canada.
- Catchphrase: Each of the BoomBots have one. Klaymen has his "Word!"
- Cats Are Mean: The alien cats are undeniably evil, though that orange cat Boomer finds isn't much better.
- Excuse Plot: There really is not much story to all the fighting. Even the cutscenes consist of nonsequiturs.
- Negative Continuity: Good luck trying to figure out how this all ties in with The Neverhood!
- Overly Long Gag: When Boomer squeezes the farting cat. It has a lot of gas!
- Polygon Ceiling: A non-2D example. Though it could have looked a lot worse, the transition of clay models into 3D ones looks rough around the edges.
- Power-Up: If you get enough energy boosts, your bot will turn into MONGO BOOMBOT, with the ability to cause more damage.
- Visual Pun: Chicke Boom views Boomer as a literal jackass.