Bonds is a visual novel-style game developed by the same people that finished the development DID Napper.
The story revolves around two college students; Robin and Alicia, who after seeing a terrible Bound and Gagged Damsel in Distress scene in a movie, Robin suggest Alicia to tie her up to see if she could tie better knots, their little game eventually becomes both a passion and a business when they create a forum for Bondage enthusiasts where they get paid for photo commissions. Eventually a third girl named Celine joins them after revealing her interest in bondage.
When not following the story, the gameplay changes to a minigame named Sessions where the player has to dress, tie and gag the girls to complete photo commissions in order to unlock the next chapter of the story.
The game's story is told from Robin's narration and excerpts from her diary and the player is given the choice of being caring towards Alicia or prioritizing their bondage business which can lead to two different endings.
The game has a relatively light-hearted tone with romance, drama and comedy sprinkled in.
The game can be bought on Itch.to for PC, Mac and Android.
The game contains the following tropes.
- Adorkable: Robin, even Alicia admits it.
- Animesque: The artstyle is inspired by anime.
- Amazonian Beauty: Celine is stated to be very muscular in comparison to both Robin and Alicia since she's a volleyball player, goes regularly to the gym and is stated that Celine gets as much commissions as Robin.
- Author Appeal: The game was made by softcore bondage enthusiasts of the Damsel in Distress kind.
- Bound and Gagged: The main theme of the game is about two friends discovering their passion for bondage and making a business out of it.
- Bondage Is Bad: Invoked. A major fear of Alicia is that people will judge her negatively if her love for bondage goes public, Robin couldn't care less as she's proud of it and making money.
- Bittersweet Ending: In the ending where Robin cares more about their business ends with Robin and Alicia slowly drifting apart after graduating college with Robin regretting not having told Alicia about her feelings for her.
- In both endings Celine "is left behind" as she puts it after graduating as she stays in town while Robin and Alicia move away to get jobs in the city. However, in the Good Ending they keep contact with eachother.
- Buxom Is Better: In the special event added post-game, the girls are asked to tie and gag themselves and pose in a bikini, Robin states that she doesn't have a bikini for Celine's larger breast size, something that flusters Celine who immediately tells her that she can't talk about her stuff like that.
- Childhood Friends: Robin and Alicia have been friends since childhood.
- Covert Pervert
- Robin has been this since childhood, having a passion for bondage since the day she was tied up when playing cowboys and indians with Alicia.
- Celine was always tied up by her older brothers when she was young and started liking it but eventually her brothers drifted apart as they grew up and she was left with a desire to be tied up once again.
- Creator Cameo: One of the random commissioners is named Kendrianus as of Kendrian, one of the lead developers of the game.
- Erotic Dream: Robin always wanted to tie up Alicia since childhood but she never asked her until the events of the game.
- Fanservice: The game was made for softcore bondage enthusiasts so its a given.
- Guilty Pleasure: Alicia and Celine see their love for bondage as this.
- Official Couple: In the Good Ending, Robin and Alicia become a couple and are still together after graduating college, eventually moving together to a city.
- The Internet Is for Porn: Implied by Celine with Robin saying that what they are doing is way less pervy in comparison so they shouldn't feel ashamed about it.
- Self-Deprecating Humor: Celine believes that their commissioners are a bunch of pervy losers, does she know that the game was made by and bought by pervy losers.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Everytime Celine implies to Robin that she has feelings for Alicia gets this reaction from her. However, in the good ending they become a couple.
- Video Game Caring Potential / Video Game Cruelty Potential: A major feature of the game is how you treat Alicia during the course of the game, leading to two different endings.
- Virtual Paper Doll: The Sessions mode that allows the player to dress, bind and gag the girls with a variety of different clothes and bindings to complete photo commissions and earn money.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Celine's hair color is dark purple. However, its stated by Robin that her natural color was blond meaning she dyed her hair.