Blade of Honor (also known as Tsurugi: The Blade in Japan) is an arcade game released by Konami in 2001. The player controls Shinnosuke, the heir of Suroku Castle in Harima Province, who must rescue his kidnapped sister Yachiyo from a rival samurai clan.
The game employs a unique controller (similar to the Wii Remote) to slash, stab, and parry enemies; a button activates powerful "special technique" moves. Cabinets also have a foot petal to allow players to lunge at enemies. A similar game from Namco, titled Mazan: Flash of the Blade (a sister game of Ninja Assault), was released the following year, and uses a very similar system.
Blade of Honor contains examples of:
- Blade on a Stick: The end boss for stage 2 attacks with a spear. The fifth boss also attacks with a double-sided spear.
- BFS: The boss for the seventh stage wields a giant sword.
- Disney Villain Death: The final boss, who falls from the top of a temple to his death upon defeat.
- Feudal Japan: The primary setting of the game.
- Gradual Regeneration: The magic meter, which powers sword attacks, will gradually refill itself when not currently in use.
- Hostage Spirit Link: Throughout the game, civilians appear; accidentally attacking them reduces a portion of your health. Thankfully, enemies won't openly attack you as long as a civilian is nearby.
- Life Meter: The player's health is represented by a candle on the left side of the screen, which melts as damage is taken.
- Master Swordsman: Shinnosuke is portrayed as such.
- Rail Shooter: Functions like one, except that the player uses a sword instead of a gun.
- Save the Princess: Shinnosuke must save his kidnapped sister, Yachiyo.
- Screaming Warrior: The seventh end boss screams loudly before battle.
- Stock Ninja Weaponry: Enemy swordsmen wield typical "ninja"-type weapons, like katana blades, spears, and claws.
- Take Cover!: Akin to Time Crisis, this game uses pedals to do. However, it uses swords to block, in a traditional Samurai fashion.
- Time Skip: The game takes place ten years after Shinnosuke and Yachiyo were separated in 1563, during which the former is now an adult and skilled swordsman.
- Wolverine Claws: The masked ninjas in the Futagodake Cave (the seventh stage) attack with these.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle!: The second boss's last words are "Sorry, but your sister is not here!"