Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. is a 3D Fighting Game from Midway Games, released in 1998. Originally set to be released for the arcades, it received a limited test release in selected arcades, although lukewarm reception meant it was never put into full production. It later received a wide release for the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation instead.
In the not-too-distant future, The United States fell like all great empires throughout history. Fifty states were broken into private territories after the Techno-Industrial Civil Wars. Technology and bio-engineering accelerated at such an incredible rate, and forced an industrial competition of corporate espionage. The government tried to keep control of the country by a single thread, the effect of the giant corporations' white collar wars drove the economy into a tail spin. Neo-Amerika rises as the result of the government bankrupt and technological company takeover.
To maintain order, The Secret Games Commission (SGC) is formed to organize tournaments deciding which organization gets to control all of Neo-Amerika, leading to the creation of Biological Flying Robotic Enhanced Armored Killing Synthoids (Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.) serving as the champions for each participating organization.
Technically, the gameplay features six buttons: two punches, two kicks, shooting and jetpack. Choose from eight different characters, each one gets equipped with a Weapon of Choice. Also, just like Time Killers, characters can get mutilated in the middle of fight and then finish with decapitation or cutting in two halves.
The game received mixed reviews. Some considers this game so cool with Visual Effects of Awesome, different gameplay mechanics and Awesome Music, while others criticized for the whole jetpack concept as a more chasing function than a fighting strategy, and the fact that the shooting attacks ruins the pace of gameplay, not to mentioning the bad voice acting.
These are the tropes featured in Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.:
- Ax-Crazy: Zipperhead.
- Action Girl: Both Sabotage and Delta are this.
- Artificial Limbs: The Retro classed F.R.E.A.K.S.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Mutilator, the final boss of the game.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Delta is an interesting subversion, she lost her arms in her fight against Minatek. She rejects cybernetic arms and instead uses prosethic arms to mantain her figure.
- Bounty Hunter: Sabotage.
- Cyborg: All the F.R.E.A.K.S. are this.
- Cloning Blues
- Corporate Warfare: What the Techno-Industrial Civil Wars left the United States as a result.
- Death Trap: Many stages are filled with danger zones.
- Divided States of America: The setting of this game in a nutshell.
- Everything Is Big in Texas: Mutilator, above mentioned, represents none other than the Lone Star State.
- Expy: Delta looks like a futuristic Orchid.
- Finishing Move: The instant kill moves vary from, but aren't limited to, the following:
- Fish People: Ssapo, a green anthropomorphic fish in Power Armor.
- From a Single Cell: The Synthoid classed F.R.E.A.K.S.
- Fun with Acronyms: Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. stands for Biological Flying Robotic Enhanced Armored Killing Synthoids.
- Gladiator Games: The closed-circuit battle pits are treated like this rather than a football game.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Ssapo, it sounds like the Spanish word for "toad" (albeit with an extra S), also counts as a Meaningful Name, as he was created by a renegade faction in New Mexico.
- Immune to Flinching: This game features a Shield Meter, which protects the character only from shooting attacks.
- Javelin Thrower: Sabotage, with the advantage that they act as explosives.
- A Load of Bull: Minatek is modeled after a bull.
- Mirror Match: Clonus, the sub-boss, is a Ditto Fighter example.
- Monster Clown: Psyclown.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Ssapo has a wide mouth with very large, pointy teeth.
- Nintendo Hard: Mutilator. Good luck beating her.
- Pinocchio Syndrome: Bullzeye. His main motivation is to become a true human.
- Playing with Fire: Purge.
- La Résistance: Unberknownst to the rest of the F.R.E.A.K.S. Delta is secretly a member.
- Ultimate Victory