Belial is a series of Point-and-Click puzzle games in which you play as the demon Belial, the son of Lucifer and Eve, who has been sent to Earth by Satan after rebelling against him. Having lost most of his demonic assets (wings, tail, horns and powers), he must first retrieve them before returning to Hell. Depending on which ending you choose, you either go back to hell to recruit an army to overthrow Satan (which is the plot of the second game, Belial 2: Cause of Chaos), or explore your inner self to unleash the gigantic demon Baal (Belial 2.5: the Beast Within).
There's now a 3rd chapter though as a platformer game called Belial: Ars Arcana
Belial contains examples of:
- Answers to the Name of God: One character sees a mouse and exclaims "Jesus Christ!". Belial responds with "Nah, he's better looking than that."
- Asshole Victim: Johnny leaves his partner-in-crime bleeding and in massive pain in an alley to go drinking. In addition, he tells the bartender to keep the change (replaced with badly-faked money unbeknownst to him) since Asians worship every penny. The bartender then summons the bouncer and tells him to break every bone in Johnny's body. Which he does.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Baal is completely naked, but has no genitalia.
- Bland-Name Product: The XNN news program and the World Warfare 3 video game.
- Character Title: Named after main character, Belial.
- Cliffhanger: 2.5 ends with Satan spearing Baal with his trident, having apparently killed Lilith. Although Word of God says that 2.5 is the non-canonical path of events. for collecting all spoons in 2 you do get another one that shows Baal after an apparently intense battle. If you played 2.5 you know that Baal is Belial.
- Continuity Nod: To get the Baal ending in the first game, you need to kill Igor, the casino's bouncer. In 2.5, you see his decapitated head on the floor.
- Evil Power Vacuum: As the second game's intro shows, Satan's (reported) death causes demons to invade Earth.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All:
- Forks in the second game. Getting all 15 unlocks the secret ending.
- Essence in the third, which gives hints for puzzles.
- Joined Your Party: Used every time a demon... well... joins your party.
- Kraken and Leviathan: A bit... different from the usual incarnations, in that the lower half is a red octopus, and the top half a woman named Pyro.
- Lava is Boiling Kool-Aid: Demons can surf on it, using humans as surfboards.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Leonard's shoulders contain missile pods.
- Made of Iron: The Beelzebub Casino's bouncer requires you to stab, electrocute, burn, and finally decapitate him.
- Mordor: Satan's Den, complete with giant gate.
- Notice This: Essence appears as a twinkling star.
- Number of the Beast: Appears as graffiti on a wall and as the elevator code.
- Rasputinian Death: The Beelzebub Casino's bouncer requires you to stab, electrocute, burn, and finally decapitate him.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: A red demon running around elicits no particular response from humans.
- Shout-Out: Most of the demons come from the Ars Goetia, in various forms. Buer is still a five-pawed lion's head, but Leonard is now a robot.
- Sociopathic Hero Belial burns 3 homeless men alive, condemning them to an afterlife as sweatshop slaves in Hell.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: It's possible to get through the first game killing less than the eight NPCs, ( depending on the ending you want).
- Womb Level: The walls of the third game resemble a brain's folds and wrinkles, while the penultimate scene takes place before a giant throbbing heart and pulsating blood vessels.