It was released on May 1, 2018 on Steam Early Access to critical acclaim; a launch for Playstation 4 VR followed on November 20, 2018, with the full PC release happening on May 21, 2019. It was a launch title for the Oculus Quest, and the game's publisher was bought by Facebook and now operates under the Oculus Studios umbrella.
Beat Saber contains examples of:
- Anti-Frustration Features: Cubes that require you to cross both your sabers simultaneously will show them switching places before they reach you.
- April Fools' Day: "Crab Rave" was added as a bonus track on April 1, 2019, which is also the song's one-year anniversary.
- Ascended Fanfic: The "Overkill - RIOT" map was originally a custom map by Nuketime before being officially licensed in the Monstercat update.
- Downloadable Content: Includes ten Monstercat songs, six Monstercat songs from Rocket League, and music packs from Imagine Dragons, Panic! at the Disco, and Green Day.
- Dual Wielding: Players are doing this most of the time.
- Game Mod: Oh yes, there is some customization available.
- Players can add customized songs and tracks to their playlist for more variety.
- There are interface mods that add more information about player performance for easier tracking of your progress.
- Cosmetic mods exist that both allow you to change the colours, apply a 3D virtual avatar for replays, and add graphical skins to replace the beat sabers (amongst the popular saber mods include crossguard sabers, and replicas of Dark Repulser and Elucidator).
- Harder Than Hard: Expert and Expert+, both of which are noticeably harder than Hard.
- Hidden Track: "Angel Voices" was originally only available by solving a riddle, but now it's unlocked by default.
- "I Am Great!" Song: "Legend" is a song boasting about how the singer is "the greatest of all time."
- Laser Blade: The blades the player uses to cut the cubes.
- Rhythm Game: The cubes are usually placed to correspond with notes in the song.
- Sword Lines: Swinging the blades causes this.
- Sword Sparks: Crossing the blades creates sparks and the controllers vibrate a little.
- Title Track: "Beat Saber" by Jaroslav Beck.