The game features ten different playable fighters, each with different weapons and abilities. The player may freely destroy the environment, and use destroyed objects as weapons against their opponents. The characters each have alternate costumes, which, depending on which the player chooses, may change their default weapon. However, it does not affect the weapon's damage capabilities or uses.
No relation to either the 1987 video game Barbarian: The Ultimate Warrior by Palace Software and Epyx nor the Rastan series by Taito despite the Japanese release being titled "Warrior Blade: Rastan vs. Barbarian".
This game provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Has four of these on the roster, of which include Eyara, Jinn, Keela, and Phade.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Eyara is green skinned, Jinn is a charcoal dark-gray, and Magnus is light blue. Justified as they are respectively a Plant Person, Djinn, and a lich/undead.
- Amnesiac Hero: 21 has lost memory of his past including even his original name, adopting his prisoner number as alias.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Zaugg is a literal giant among the characters of the roster with this image providing a scale with one of the playable characters, Stitch, who only reaches Zaugg's knees.
- Big Bad: The Evil Sorcerer Zaugg's schemes to achieve eternal life brings about wide spread ruin across the realm of Barbaria which attracts the various fighters respective goals to put him down.
- Does Not Like Shoes: The barefooted characters include 21, Eyara, Jinn, Magnus, Mongo, Phade, and Zaugg.
- Dolled-Up Installment: When this game was released in Japan, it was retitled as "Warrior Blade: Rastan vs. Barbarian" and Dagan's name was changed to Rastan in order to pass it off as being part of the Rastan series.
- Final Boss: Zaugg
- Killer Gorilla: Mongo, though he more closely resembles a mandrill than an ape. Regardless, he fits the spirit of the trope nonetheless.
- Magic Knight: Among the characters who use magic in battle include Corath, Eyara, Jinn, and Magnus.
- Mighty Glacier: 21 and Mongo are the biggest and heaviest of the playable characters in the game.
- Mr. Fanservice: Dagan. Hunk with obvious Heroic Build? Check. Also has a fairly revealing outfit to show off said build. Also check.
- Ms. Fanservice: Keela and Eyara. The former is conventionally attractive being a blonde haired woman in a cleavage and midriff baring outfit. Eyara is a Green-skinned Plant Person who wears even less.
- Multi-Melee Master: Two fighters who carry multiple weapons to switch between while in battle are Dagan, an ax and a sword, and Phade, who has a spear and Wolverine Claws.
- Our Genies Are Different: Djinn in this universe are Horned Humanoid demonic beings with charcoal dark skin and magic casting abilities.
- Pelts of the Barbarian: Dagan and Keela are barbarians who wear animal pelts as part of their outfits.
- Power Floats: Magnus can float. As a drawback, he can't lift objects to use as makeshift weapons or throwing against opponents.
- Real Is Brown: Expecting any color else aside from dull shades of brown and/or gray? With the minor exception of its winter level (Shipwreck Waters), you're out of luck.
- Revenge: Though all the fighters have some bone to pick with Zaugg, the one stand out example is that of Dagan whose wife was killed by the sorcerer as part of one of his rituals.
- Stripperiffic: 21, Dagan, Eyara, Jinn, Keela, and Phade.
- Tuckerization: Zaugg, the main antagonist, is named after one of the game's producers Brian Zaugg.
- The Undead: Magnus and Stitch are two differing examples. The former is a deceased person who has been brought back to life while the latter is something akin to Frankenstein's Monster in that he is a being made from the remains of other people and been animated by Zaugg's sorcerery.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: As a game with a Conan the Barbarian aesthetic, unsurprisingly many characters qualify. The characters in question are 21, Corath, Dagan, Mongo, Stitch, and Jinn (of which the last is female, though with Barbie Doll Anatomy in effect).
- Warrior Prince: Keela, who in this case a Warrior Princess. note
- Weapon of Choice: Most characters on the roster wield weapons and of those who do use the following:
- You Are Number 6: The character named "21" as he is the twenty-first prisoner held at the Prisons of Akrowla.