Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast is an expansion pack for Baldur's Gate, the first game of the Baldur's Gate series.
The expansion provides examples of:
- Already Undone for You: In the Durlag's Tower area. Even though adventurers (a few still living, but mostly dead) have gone in before you and have gotten to a certain point themselves, all of the tests, traps, and enemies are intact when your party travels through it. Even Durlag's ghost states that you are the first to have ever gotten that far, even though two other adventurers (Clair and Dalton) can be found in the last two dungeon areas. The ghost is standing close to the only staircase leading up or down from this area, so how did he miss seeing them? One of them handwaves it by saying they took another route which has now collapsed, although you see no sign of any other passages, collapsed or otherwise, anywhere.
- Bilingual Bonus: Some tougher werewolves are named "Loup Garou" which is French for "Werewolf".
- Bonus Boss: Aec'Letec and Selaad Gan, the final bosses of their respective Side Quests.
- Bonus Dungeon: The entire expansion pack is this to the main game.
- Flaming Sword: Durlag's Tower yields "The Burning Earth", a flaming longsword that has useful bonuses against various creatures, including shape shifters and undead.
- Friendly Ghost: Durlag, at the bottom level of Durlag's tower. There are false Durlags that will attack you, but the real Durlag's ghost is willing to talk and answer your questions.
- Get on the Boat: How the party gets to the Isle of Balduran.
- Haunted Castle: Durlag's Tower is full of crazy ghosts, deadly traps and nasty monsters.
- Mission-Pack Sequel: To the original Baldur's Gate.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Werewolves and wolfweres.
- Robinsonade: The inhabitants of the Balduran Isle.
- Romance Sidequest: Features a brief romance sidequest, although not to the extent that Baldur's Gate II later would.
- Room Full of Crazy: Durlag's Tower is an entire Tower full of Crazy.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Aec'Letec can be stunned with Hold Monster or if you summon a pack of ghouls who should eventually stun him with Ghoul Touch, leaving him open for your fighters.