Avatar High later received a sequel in Avatar U. Avatar U featured older characters in university. It was also much more in-depth and featured a variety of new things.
These games provide examples of:
- Art Evolution: The original game has a simple pixel style similar to Habbo. Avatar U features less Super-Deformed characters with clearer, more detailed sprites.
- Darker and Edgier: Avatar U is a bit more realistic than its predecessor and features more mature topics.
- Everyone Is Bi: In Avatar High gender is irrelevant for dating. In Avatar U, however, characters have specific sexualities.
- High School Rocks: Avatar High is a rather idealistic simulation of high school.
- Character Customization:
- In Avatar High you can customize hair, skin-tone, and hair colour.
- Avatar U features appearance customization as well as personality customization. You can customize a character's personality and choose their sexuality, favorite things, astrological sign, political views, and favorite weather. These things affect how the character does in school and how they interact with others.
- Product Placement: In Avatar U, the "favorite shows" options are all The N shows.