As is typical for a Dinamic game, A.M.C. is divided into two missions. The first mission has you, as an A.M.C. trooper, fighting the Deathbringers on the planet Dendar to reach their ship. In the second mission, you take the fight to the Deathbringers' homeworld and kill the Great Alien King.
Tropes included in this game:
- Antlion Monster: the great Lasaarc lurking in a pit at the end of Zone 2. Try to jump over it, and it will spit your bones out.
- Bizarre and Improbable Ballistics: Your shots are incapable of hitting the ground, hovering at a minimum altitude instead. This is especially apparent when the ground is sloping upward.
- Chest Monster: Some of the supply crates contain enemies.
- Feed It a Bomb: The only way to get past the Lasaarc is to drop several grenades into its gigantic mouth.
- Have a Nice Death: Every death is accompanied by a short message. Usually it's a generic "You are dead!!!!" or "AAARRGHH!!!", but one more amusing one is when your head gets bitten off by a monster: "Don't lose your mind!!"
- Man-Eating Plant: If you don't jump over certain spots, plants that will come up out of the ground and eat you.
- The Many Deaths of You: Approximately half a dozen special death animations.
- Trial-and-Error Gameplay: There is next to no warning that a Man-Eating Plant is hiding somewhere.
- Password Save: The Amiga/ST version has passwords for every second level. One of these was originally used for the separately loaded second half of the game.
- Pinball Scoring: The game awards points in multiples of 500.
- Shout-Out: The Lasaarc is a very obvious expy of the Sarlacc from Return of the Jedi, being also a gigantic immobile monster that hides in the ground.
- Stripped to the Bone: When a Ballthrower breathes fire on you, you get skeletonized.
- Timed Mission: Both missions run on a time limit.
- Unwinnable by Design: The number of grenades you get is limited, and they do not get replaced when you die which means that if you run out of them, you have no way of getting past certain enemies.
- Written Sound Effect: There's "GRONF GRONF" for getting swallowed whole, and also "GLU GLU GLU" for falling into water.