Astral Chain is an upcoming Stylish Action video game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch. The game was unveiled in February 2019 and is currently set for an August 30th, 2019 release in all regions.
Set in a future Cyberpunk multicultural city known as the Ark, Astral Chain focuses on a Brother-Sister Team who work for a special police task force called Neuron. Said task force was birthed in response to the formation of odd dimensional rifts that have been appearing in the world, unleashing monsters known as Chimeras who leave destruction in their wake. With normal equipment being just as ill-equipped for such a situation as standard police officers are, members of Neuron utilize a brand-new weapon known as Legion: bio-mechanical beings derived from Chimeras that acts as a partner and aids you both inside and outside of combat situations.
Astral Chain marks the directorial debut of Takahisa Taura, the chief designer of NieR: Automata. Bayonetta series creator and PlatinumGames co-founder Hideki Kamiya serves as the supervisor for the game, with manga artist Masakazu Katsura in charge of the character design.
Contains examples of:
- Blade Below the Shoulder: The Legion chained to the protagonist in the E3 trailer has two blades with "Police" stamped on them replacing both of its arms.
- Chain Pain: A bright blue chain is seen in the E3 trailer as a weapon to hook up Chimeras.
- Energy Blade: E3 trailer shows the protagonist wielding a sword charged with bright blue energy.
- Flaming Sword: One of the monsters in the E3 trailer is seen wielding a large flaming sword.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: An antagonistic female character in the E3 has solid eyes, along with other marks of evil, like Tainted Veins.
- Speak in Unison: The player character and sibling both talk at the same time during the announcement trailer. E3 trailer also showcases this at its climax. While still kinda creepy, it's a more hopeful usage of the trope, as it's used to emphasize their unity, especially as uplifting music plays when they say "He's still alive out there. I know he is."