Aola Star has three default types of heroes in which each can be played and customized. Players catch and raise creatures known as Yabis for various uses, especially battling. They can explore the constantly updating universe to undo the damage done by an evil organization called the Dark Fleet, lead by Darst, and find space crystals obtained by finishing quest chains in each world. Later updates have a new story-line revolving on a fox-like creature named Kiki and the player journey with Kiki while facing another group of enemies. Players raise not only Yabis but also a creature called HELLO. They can also do group activities or play mini-games.
The game is officially released in China and Taiwan with a very strong playerbase and won few awards, but the game is pretty much unknown outside of these nations.
Due to its success, it had spawned several merchandise, such as a trading card game and other toys. An animated CGI film was released on July 2015.
This game provides examples of:
- Animate Inanimate Object: Few Yabis count, ranging from an oven Yabi to a scarecrow Yabi.
- Animesque: Most character designs are this.
- Anti Poop-Socking: When a certain number of hours have passed, receiving experience from enemy Yabis gets halved, due to legal reasons in China.
- Bonus Boss: At the end of a dungeon, a very powerful boss can be battled. They're extremely dangerous opponents that can heal often, and can even do significant damage to Yabis that are many levels above its level! It is pretty much like fighting an MMORPG boss in the Pokémon battle system.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: The cash shop contains EXP multipliers, eggs of powerful Yabis, and is the only source of a catching ball that never fails. Also players can have a VIP status called Sapphire, which comes in ten levels.
- Com Mons: Subverted, many Yabi in the game have pretty standard base stats in their final forms, though a lot of them are overshadowed by others in later updates. Pretty much any Yabi in a level six rating is this.
- Cute Is Evil: While Yezi Guai is usually not this, at one quest, two differently colored versions of them dressed as murderers appears in a quest as kidnappers.
- Eastern Zodiac: At every Chinese New Year, a new Yabi based on the animal of the year is added to the game.
- Fishing Mini Game: Has one in the City of Canals area.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: While not noticed by the target audience, few NPCs have spoken comic styled abbreviations of English profanity, especially in cutscenes.
- Gratuitous English: There are several times in which all-uppercase English has been used, often in comic exclamation.
- Green Aesop: It encourages this in official descriptions, and is the main aesop in the game.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: There are various scripted bosses in quests in which the player's Yabi can't kill.
- Level Ate: The ice cream world located at the hexagram-shaped universe.
- Loading Screen: The loading screens are interactive while waiting for moving to another map.
- Mascot: HELLO, although it is replaced by a mythical creature which turns it into the former mascot.
- Mini-Game: There are dozens of them, giving out rewards like experience crystals and gold.
- Permanently Missable Content: There are some event Yabis that may not be available again.
- Pop Quiz: The "One Hundred Thousand Aola Questions" minigame, where players test their knowledge on the game.
- Product Placement: Several, including advertising a toothpaste product called Cnice, which gives away product branded Mons for a limited time.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: About every first form of every evolution line and sometimes their evolutions as well.
- Right-Wing Militia Fanatic: Dark Fleet is a militaristic criminal organization who abuses natural resources and threatens the inhabitants of each planet.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: The game is set twenty years after the current real-life time, according to updates and lore.
- Villain Pedigree: It appears that the Dark Fleet are appearing less on future updates and are being replaced by a group of demons called the Red Devils, who hunt down Kiki and friends.
- Virtual Paper Doll: Character customization is possible as with any other character.