Share with us your head
Do hide behind the iris
As all of our friends are dead."
All of Our Friends Are Dead is a 2009 freeware game by Amon 26. A frightening, disturbing, trippy, and fun run-and-gun platform shooter that can perhaps best be described as Contra on a Benadryl trip; a work of art replete with some of the strangest and most unsettling images you're ever likely to see in a game. The industrial rock/noise soundtrack and bizarre first-person plural writing only contribute to the highly surreal and nightmare-like atmosphere of the game. Since the story itself makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, it is therefore left to fan interpretation and speculation. The game can be downloaded here.
This game provides examples of:
- Acid-Trip Dimension: Everywhere you go the visuals are extremely deranged and vividly-colored.
- Big Bad: Seems to be the woman who serves as the Final Boss, though its rather vague.
- Body Horror: Largely happens to the...things in the background.
- Boss Battle: Three: a giant red ghost thing, a giant womb-looking thingy, and a strange-looking woman.
- Bottomless Magazines
- Bottomless Pit
- Chekhov's Gunman: That strange woman tied to a wall that suddenly disappears turns out to be the final boss.
- Crapsack World
- Cruelty Is the Only Option: One scene requires you to kill someone so that you can retrieve the key from their corpse.
- Dark World
- Dead Guy on Display
- Deliberately Monochrome: The game is almost entirely in black, white, and shades of red. The exception is the main character's orange gun and the occasional green object.
- Drone of Dread: Most of the background music/noise.
- Eldritch Abomination: FUCKING EVERYWHERE, from the enemies to the doorways.
- Everything Trying to Kill You
- Gainax Ending: More like Gainax Everything, to be exact.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Your fate if you fall into one of the spike pits. Also, many of the dead bodies on display.
- Interchangeable Antimatter Keys
- Lock and Key Puzzle: The game requires you to find and collect keys to advance in some areas.
- Madness Mantra: Much of the bizarre narration and words randomly scrambled across the screen.runwatchthecowardsrunwatchthecowardsrun
- Mind Screw
- Nightmare Face: The frightening woman's face that randomly pops out at you late in the game."...and to think she was once a mother!"
- Nintendo Hard
- No Name Given: The protagonist and everyone else.
- No Plot? No Problem!: Word of God said in an interview that this game doesn't actually have a plot.
- One-Hit Point Wonder: One hit will kill you instantly.
- Our Monsters Are Weird: And how.
- Post-Processing Video Effects: Film grain and flickering.
- Red Sky, Take Warning
- Rhymes on a Dime: The ending.
- Scenery Gorn: The game is noted for its incredibly nightmarish atmosphere.
- Spikes of Doom
- Surreal Horror
- Title Drop: At the very end.