In May 2007, John Passfield and 3D Realms released Alien Carnage as freeware.
The cartoon-style game features agent Halloween Harry, who has to save the world from aliens that want to take over control of Earth by turning its population into green-skinned zombies. Some of the enemies reference Aliens, Gremlins, and Elvis Presley. Harry is helped by controller Diane, who gives him information via a video link.
There is a sequel to this game titled Zombie Wars.
This Video Game contains examples of:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: The Sewer episode.
- Alliterative Name: Halloween Harry.
- Boss-Only Level: The final level in the Sewer episode.
- Infinity +1 Sword: The missiles. It doesn't matter what difficulty you play on, they will destroy all mooks with one hit.
- Jet Pack: Harry has one, and it uses the same fuel as his flamethrower.
- Kill It with Fire: The flamethrower.
- Locked Door: Appear in some levels and are often unlocked with a switch.
- Mission Control: Diane acts as this for Harry.
- Plot Lock: The player must free every captive before exiting a level.
- Shareware: The Office Block episode in Halloween Harry and the Sewer episode in Alien Carnage were originally this. As of May 2007, the entire game is freeware.
- Videogame Flamethrowers Suck: Harry starts off with a flamethrower. It's not the most powerful weapon to have, and the fuel used for the flamethrower is better saved for the jetpack.