The Alfred Chicken series is a bizarre series of Puzzle Platformer games made by Mindscape. The first game, simply titled Alfred Chicken, was released for the Game Boy, Amiga, and NES. The sequel, titled Super Alfred Chicken, was released for the SNES and is the lengthiest game in the series. A PlayStation version also exists, but only in Europe.
Alfred must save his egg-napped friends from the evil Meka-Chickens. Alfred can walk, jump, and peck balloons and ground switches. While he is in the air he can dive bomb enemies or springs. Dive bombing enemies will destroy them. Dive bombing springs will bounce Alfred much higher so he can reach platforms well above his normal jumping ability.
To complete a level, Alfred must find and peck all of the balloons, the last of which will take him to a boss fight.
This game contains examples of:
- Goomba Stomp: Dive bombing springs will bounce Alfred much higher.
- Puzzle Platformer: If you're going to get all of the balloons and watering cans, strategy is required.
- Spikes of Doom: You can walk across them using invulnerability in order to reach secret items.
- Totally Radical: Ads for the SNES game were like this.
- Wackyland: The land is populated by giant flowers, one powerup is literally a can of worms, and portals to other levels are alive, among many other oddities.
- Widget Series: You're a chicken and you work your way through really weird levels.