After Dark is an arcade game made by UNIS (Short for Universal Space) released in 2013.
The game sees you play as two monster hunters after the bounties on monster terrorizing the countryside lead by a friar name Carl as the brave the supernatural dangers for fame and glory.
Many have compared the game to Namco's Deadstorm Pirates and it wouldn't be too far off the map when playing it as it has many of the control scheme such as similar enemy type and even a wheel for where you need to steer out of harm's way. Regardless, the theme of the game does help alleviate the similarities and not be too much of a copycat.
Here's a playthrough.
After Dark has the following tropes:
- Attack Its Weakpoint: The usual "hit the flashing point before your attacked" mechanics in most shooting games like this.
- Cool Airship: The start of Dracula's stage has the heroes navigating a mountain in one.
- Dracula: One of the bosses of the game though oddly not the Big Bad.
- Expy: To say this should've been called Van Helsing the Arcade is an utter understatement. All three protagonists have the looks of Helsing, Anna and the Friar Carl, heck the Friar is even named Carl.
- Follow the Leader: Again a lot of the play mechanics are similar to Deadstorm Pirates. They even use the same font regarding scores and wheel actions.
- Monster Mash: Werewolves, Vampire, Imps, Dragons, Zombies, Golems and Skeletons are all present here.
- Shout-Out: The flying ship stage is a nod to The Mummy Returns.
- Zerg Rush: Some enemies will just rush you all at once.