In this game you play Tron, who must collect seven bits floating around on four levels while escaping Recognizers, Game Tanks, and Grid Bugs. To travel between floors, Tron must jump across the gap in the center and touch the Input/Output Tower beam to activate a lift that will raise him up one level. To drop down a level, the player only needs to pull back on the control stick. A Solar Sailer appears on the third floor to allow the player to travel across the screen, which is useful in cases where you need to get over some Recgonizers and tanks. Once you collect all seven bits, the Input/Output Tower beam activates, allowing you to transfer from that screen onto the next screen, where you do the same thing all over again.
This game provides examples of:
- Difficulty by Acceleration: The Recognizers, Game Tanks, and Grid Bugs move faster and faster with each level.
- Endless Game: You continue to play until you run out of lives.
- Jump Physics: Strangely, Tron's jumping ability only works best on the lowest floor of the level.
- Platform Game: One of the early 1980s examples.
- Plot Coupons: The seven bits on each screen.
- Scoring Points: For each bit you collect.
- Teleportation: The Input/Output Tower beam, which activates once you collect all seven bits.
- Video-Game Lives: Four, though there is no indication onscreen of how many lives you have left.