The game was designed to be played in Virtual Reality through VR simulators such a the Oculus Rift, although it can be downloaded and played on ordinary computers as well.
Adrift contains examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: Although you survived the explosion (albeit barely), all of the other crew members turn out to be dead - you find each of their lifeless bodies as you travel around the remains of the station. Then at the end of the game, as you are finally returning to Earth, you receive a message from Emily, Elizabeth's mother, who is clearly upset at you for indirectly causing the death of her daughter & tells you that it's time for you to "face the consequences of your actions" - in other words Alex is likely going to be facing a discharge & serious jail time at the very least.
- Interface Screw:
- As your space suit takes more damage from hitting walls, cracks begin to appear on your screen and the computer interface that shows things such as warnings and your oxygen level will begin to flicker.
- When you are low on oxygen, the interface will fade to black & white and you'll hear Alex start gasping for air more desperately.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Although it is not actually shown in-game, the communication logs you find heavily imply that the explosion happened as a result of Alex's (aka the player's) decision to continuously run the Solaris sunlight system in order to grow the plants in the Spiritus greenhouses faster and thus meet the mission's production quota. One of the last audio logs you can listen to is Elizabeth's formal filing of a complaint & request for Commander Alex to be relieved of her duties for putting the safety of the mission in jeopardy. The other crew members went along with Alex's plan because they just wanted to hurry up & finish the mission so that they could finally go back home after their time in space was repeatedly extended by the company due to the plants initially not growing as quickly as expected.
- Timed Mission: Subverted. While there are a finite number of Oxygen canisters around the ship that you can use to refill your dwindling oxygen supply, there are also several reusable O2 charging stations around the space station.