Set in the universe of Roots of Insanity, the game follows a group of survivors trapped in the zombie-infested August Valentine Hospital trying to find a way out. Thing is, there's more than just zombies that they have to worry about. Dr. Riley McClein is in the hospital as well, and he will kill any survivor he manages to catch. So these people need to get out of there NOW.
Players can choose one of three types of characters to play as. They can be a survivor trying to escape, they can play as a zombie out to eat the survivors, or they can play as Dr. Riley himself and try to murder the survivors.
The game was released on July 23rd, 2021.
A Way To Be Dead contains examples of:
- Asymmetric Multiplayer: Play as either a survivor trying to escape, a zombie trying to eat the survivors, or Dr. Riley trying to kill them.
- Ax-Crazy: Riley is running around with a fire axe chopping up anything that moves.
- Deadly Doctor: Dr. Riley is this in this game.
- Faking the Dead: Patients can play dead to hide from Riley, since due to his psychosis he'll just see them as another chopped up corpse laying on the floor.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The fact that Riley is a psychotic murderer gives away the ending of Roots of Insanity.
- Power Born of Madness: Thanks to his psychosis, Riley's a super-strong ax-wielding beast who can easily chop through hordes of zombies (and humans).
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Dr. Riley's eyes are glowing red.
- Weakened by the Light: Shining a flashlight in Riley's face will stun him for several seconds due to his epilepsy.