Player's duty is to choose one of the five characters to go after Freddy Krueger, who resides in the nightmares of Elm Street.
This game has the examples of:
- Breakable Weapons: Go through enough walls, and your weapon that enables you to do that will break.
- Chainsaw Good: The most expensive purchasable weapon from the Nightmare Vending Inc. It grants you an ability go through walls.
- Character Select Forcing: If the player takes too much time choosing their character, Freddy will start capturing them, forcing the player to pick the last one available .
- Chest Monster: Freddy will sometimes attack from a seemingly harmless item crate. Fending him off will result in him attacking a not rescued character.
- Copy Protection: At one point, Freddy will force the player to identify a word from the manual to continue the game. Hes a little more polite than others, however, and gives a multiple choice answer, which means you could guess and get it right.
- Dem Bones: Earliest enemies are skeletons.
- Finger-Lickin' Evil: Freddy is shown licking one of his finger-blades in the Game Over screen.
- Game-Over Man: Would it be anyone else but Freddy? At least he usually has something different to say when he kills you.
- Knife Nut: Taryn's special power is flinging knives.
- Lock and Key Puzzle: Featured as the primary puzzles in the earlier levels. Things get more complicated as you go on.
- Scaled Up: The final fight against Freddy has him in a green-and-red striped snake form, complete with his hat.
- Time Stands Still: Nancy's special skill is to stop enemies from moving for two seconds.