Montenegro (Montenegrin: Crna Gora / Црна Гора, meaning "Black Mountain" — the English name is itself a Venetian Italian translation) is a Southern European country and one of the world's newer independent states after an independence referendum in 2006 led to the breakup from Serbia with 55.5% being for it (the requirement set by EU was 55% to recognize it as an independent country).
During the most of its history, the people of Montenegro considered themselves Serbian. Montenegrins in fact make up less than 50% of the population, with nearly 29% identifying as Serbian at the last (2011) census. Signs in Latin and Cyrillic script are common place, the latter being useful to Russian tourists (who don't need a visa) and business people (who own a lot of property out there).
The capital city is Podgorica, which was known as Titograd in the Yugoslavia years. The country is a candidate for The European Union, with negotiations opening in 2012. Montenegro has also unilaterally adopted the Euro as its currency. It also joined NATO on June 5, 2017. The national stereotype of Montenegrins is that they are extremely lazy, hence the joke: "How does Montenegro build a highway? They build two miles and then put up a sign saying "'etc etc etc'"."
Montenegro's appearances in fiction:
- Casino Royale (2006), although the filming of Montenegrin scenes took place in the Czech Republic.
- The Brothers Bloom
- The November Man
- Fictional detective Nero Wolfe hails from here, although he is mainly based in New York. He does come back once in the aptly named The Black Mountain to catch the murderer of his best friend.
- Jay Gatsby received a medal from King Nicholas I (Montenegro was still an independent monarchy back then).
- Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain: The last secret mission takes place in Budva, Montenegro.
The Montenegrin flag
Coat of arms of Montenegro
The Montenegrin national anthem
- Unitary parliamentary technocratic constitutional republic
- President: Milo Đukanović
- Prime Minister: Zdravko Krivokapić
- Speaker: Aleksa Bečić
- Capital and largest city: Podgorica
- Population: 621,873
- Area: 13,812 km² (5,333 sq mi) (156th)
- Currency: Euro () (EUR)
- ISO-3166-1 Code: ME