This page covers moments of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) from 2020 to 2029.
- E3 did not happen in a traditional sense in 2020, as the conference was cancelled in March due to the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Despite this, the ESA stated that they hoped to "coordinate an online experience" in its place, and a few developers quickly announced that they still planned to make announcements regardless. Given the Troubled Production in the run up to the event, the cancellation could be seen as a bit of a mercy:
- Throughout 2019 and 2020, E3 was plagued with online security issues. In August 2019, they leaked over 2,000 media attendees' personal information, including names, addresses, and phone numbers, due to poor data sanitation, and they accidentally let the public access their website a day before it was set to launch in February 2020. An alleged pitch deck also leaked in September 2019, presenting a new potential "fan, media, and influencer festival" idea for E3 and was met with some derision.
- As with 2019, Sony announced in January that they were once again electing to skip E3 entirely. Their given reason was that they felt "the vision of E3 2020 is not the right venue for what we are focused on this year." Since this was the year they were to release the Play Station 5, Sony's absence from the event at a time when they were expected to have the Hollywood Hype Machine at full power was considered the first major sign that the event might be in trouble.
- In February 2020, Geoff Keighley, host of The Game Awards and generally well-known personality within the gaming community, announced that he would not be attending E3 for the first time since the expo's creation, nor would he produce the E3 Coliseum he had been doing since 2017. His stated reason was that he didn't "feel comfortable" participating this year, and he had his own ideas on how E3 should proceed going forward.
- As part of the expo's redesign, game merchandisers iam8bit were brought on as creative directors — but then in early March (not long before the cancellation), they pulled out for undisclosed reasons.