Conor Anthony McGregor (born July 14, 1988) is an Irish professional mixed martial artist and boxer. He is the former Ultimate Fighting Championship Featherweight and Lightweight champion. As of September 23, 2019, he is #12 in the UFC pound-for-pound rankings and #3 in the UFC Lightweight rankings.
McGregor started his MMA career in 2008 and, in 2012, he won both the Cage Warriors Featherweight and Lightweight Championships, holding both titles simultaneously before vacating them to sign with the UFC. In 2015, at UFC 194, he defeated José Aldo for the UFC Featherweight Championship via knockout 13 seconds into the first round, which is the fastest victory in UFC title fight history. Upon defeating Eddie Alvarez for the UFC Lightweight Championship at UFC 205, McGregor became the first fighter in UFC history to hold titles in two weight divisions simultaneously.
And no, he's not related to Ewan McGregor.
Tropes related to Conor McGregor :
- A God Am I: Has claimed that "I'm cool with Jesus. I'm cool with all the gods. Gods recognize gods!" He has also made such blasphemous boasts as claiming that the other members of the UFC Featherweight division should formally apologize to him for "speaking [his] name in vain".
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Much like many other fighters he's very overconfident in his abilities but he just might be the best example of this in a nutshell.
- Badass Beard: Part way through his UFC career, Conor began to sport a thick beard that's become part of his signature look, and obviously, being a man who beats up other men for money, the "badass" part is a given.
- Badass Boast: Can't get enough of them. Either predicting when and how he'll finish an upcoming opponent, bragging about his past and even future accomplishments, or proclaiming how good-looking/well-dressed he is, McGregor is the definition of a braggart.McGregor: I'm gonna wrap one belt on one shoulder, I'm gonna wrap one on the other shoulder, and they're gonna need a fuckin' army to come take them belts off me!
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Pretty much anyone who fights for a living is a badass by default, and Conor's no exception. He also has a thing for expensive, flashy suits; he's frequently named to many different "Best Dressed Man/Athlete" lists from the likes of GQ and such. In his own words:
- Berserk Button: He severly dislikes those who are disloyal to their closest allies, as he claims those type of people "bite the hand that feeds them" or "snakes in the grass". As seen when he tries to convince Urijah Faber that TJ Dillishaw wasn't as loyal towards him as he thought he was.
- Blood Knight: He definitely loves fighting and in an exaggerated statement is willing to go toe-to-toe with the gods.
- Call-Back: Nate Diaz proclaimed "I'm not surprised, motherfuckers" after defeating Conor McGregor in one of the biggest MMA upsets in recent history. When Conor won the rematch, he shouted "Surprise, surprise, motherfucker! The king is back!"
- Calling Your Shots: In the early stages of his UFC career, he had a very Muhammad Ali-esque tendency to declare ahead of time how he would win his upcoming fights. As his competition improved, though, he put this on hold.
- Creator's Pet: An accusation that has been thrown his way not only becasue of how heavily he is promoted by the UFC, but also because of how many controversies he has been part of with less harsher punishments compared to what others have faced for similar missdeeds.
- The Fighting Narcissist: Conor is brash and egotistical almost to a fault, often trash talking his opponents to pro wrestling levels.
- Hot-Blooded: He is very eager to get in the ring as well as being very boisterous and passionate about whatever he does. He is also very easy to anger if one gets him riled up enough.
- Kneel Before Zod: Conor has proclaimed more than once that the entire UFC Featherweight division should beg him for his forgiveness and mercy, at which point, he will stop "terrorizing them" and move to another weight class.
- Large Ham: When he enters a room, he makes sure he's the center of attention, usually through loud, brash monologues/one-liners, picking fights with people, or wild, zany mannerisms.
- Not So Different: Many sources billed his superfight vs Floyd Mayweather as a clash of opposing identities— the Irish-born mixed martial artist in McGregor vs the American-born boxer in Mayweather. Really though, they're more similar than they are different: both are brash, arrogant, dominant fighters who are amazing boxers and love to brag about how filthy stinking rich they are.
- Red Baron: "The Notorious" as well as "The Pride of Ireland." He tried a go at "Mystic Mac" for his ability to predict the results of his fights, but it never really caught on.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Conor is absolutely incapable of censoring himself, and will drop as many F bombs and S bombs as he needs to, at any time, in any setting, to make his point.
- Trash Talk: Arguably the best in UFC history. He has a way of getting under opponents' skin with his antics and the things he says. He's as confident in his abilities as a human being can be, and he's not afraid to vocalize it, nor does he mind taking personal shots at his opponents.