She/her, bisexual autistic girl-creature. Aspiring television writer, current time waster.
Context on my username: Mewtron is a Fakémon I designed when I was 12 and was so proud of it that I made it my username on every social media account at the time. It's really dumb, but I find it really charming in retrospect.
I've been active on the wiki since I was 12 but have only been heavily involved in wiki maintenance since the spring of 2020 - extra free time, you know. I'm still learning the wiki rules, and it's a bit of a buzzkill but it's also extremely cathartic and empowering to learn that the stuff that bugged me when I was a kid is actually not allowed anymore and that I can help fix it!
A rundown of some characters I relate to the most, since that explains why I choose certain icons:
Current sandbox projects, feel free to contribute:
- The Nostalgia Critic Main Page Cleanup
- The Nostalgia Critic Tear Jerker Cleanup
- The Nostalgia Critic Nightmare Fuel Cleanup
- Nostalgia Critic Fanservice And Fan Disservice Cleanup
- Nostalgia Critic Character Cleanup
I've decided the "tropes that apply to me" thing felt cheesy so I'm reworking this as a general info section.
- I'm a television and radio major and I want to write for television shows someday. I'd love to write for a cartoon, but I don't think I have the patience for animation.
- I do the fanficky thing. My work (though the link used is my tumblr) got a boost over on FanficRecs.Channel Awesome.
- Some of my Author Appeals:
- Ever since I was young, I've had an affinity for making two kinds of female characters: the Loony Fan Geek who's often a Stalker with a Crush, and rebellious goth or punk girls. The latter has phased out because I've realized I'm clueless at writing goth or punk subcultures, but I've become even more attached to the Loony Fan archetype and I really enjoy deconstructing it, as well as the issues with modern fandom and idol worship as a whole.
- I really enjoy stories about parenting and pregnancy. It has the potential to be funny and tender.
- My Berserk Button: Calling media "problematic" and "unproblematic." All media has problems and putting them into a binary of "good" and "bad" is detrimental to criticism, especially if you compare something like Steven Universe to South Park.
- I've never played any console that isn't a Nintendo product or a PC. I just don't get into the games on other consoles. I'm currently absolutely obsessed with my Nintendo Switch. I bought it with my own money after one of my first jobs and it's just so beautiful and good for the senses.
- My content has gotten into several Jacksfilms videos including YIAY. I save these videos (and others that involve me or my work) here.
- I've become obsessed with the Trope Epitaph. As soon as a trope or renamed is cut under TRS, I start brainstorming epitaphs before we even perform the move.
- Similarly, I love captioning images! It's just fun to come up with short witty sayings on this website.
- I have three cats and a dog. I love my dog but I'm a huge cat person, because you really have to earn the love of a cat, so the connection feels more genuine.
- I have a massive potty mouth, probably cuz it makes me feel more badass and threatening when I'm really not.
- I write the "New Work Page Spotlight" section on the revived Trope Report.
Some of my favorite media, which I will Entry Pimp at any given opportunity (especially the first few):
- The Nostalgia Critic: I'm in a funny situation in that I didn't watch the show when it was super popular on the site, but I got really into it around the time the site started to consider the show Snark Bait. While I absolutely get why people dislike the show (I sure as hell have some issues with it), I have a lot of fun talking about it and the characters and the current cast. I'm running a cleanup thread on the show to get rid of the gushing/complaining/creepy shit.note
- BoJack Horseman
- Be More Chill
- South Park
- Futurama: Funniest cartoon ever, IMO.
- The Golden Girls
- Phineas and Ferb
- The Good Place
- Game Grumps: But only the Danny years.
- Jenny Nicholson
- Musical Hell
- Steven Universe
- Rhythm Heaven
- Doki Doki Literature Club!
- Rhythm Heaven
- No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!: specifically the anime as I haven't gotten to read the manga yet. It's on my list though. This is the only anime I've ever watched in full.
- Big Mouth: And yes, I'm sorry.
- House Party: I'm going to hell, dood.
I made these pages:
- Total Drama Do Over
- Tamara's Never Seen
- Total Trauma
- Respect the Pouch
- Bad Kitty
- PlayingWith.Game Show Goofballs
- Trans Girl Next Door
- make up a guy
- And some other fanfic pages that I refuse to link because I made them before even writing most of the fanfics, because I was 12 years old and stupid.
I drafted these tropes:
- Garbage Hideout (it was adopted by someone else before launch, though!)
- Swear Word Plot
- Infection Scene (+ Playing With page)
- Obsessed with Perfect Attendance
- New Year's Kiss
I adopted and launched these tropes:
- Obnoxious Entitled Housewife (+ Playing With page)
I named these tropes:
- "Better if Not Born" Plot
- Constantly Changing Name (partly)
- Racial Face Blindness (pitched name during TRS expansion)
I picked the image for these tropes (either in TLP or IP / suggestion thread):
- Cat Fight (+ caption)
- Bad with the Bone
- Popular with Furries
- Quacking Up
- Singing Telegram
- Wacky Startup Workplacenote
- Wonder Woman Wannabe
- Surprise Pregnancy (+ caption)
- Heartwarming.Real Life
- Game Show Goofballs
- Trapped with the Therapy Session
- Crying Critters
- Heartwarming.Rhythm Heaven
- Alter-Ego Acting (+ caption)
- Innocent Swearing
- Heartwarming.No Matter How I Look At It Its You Guys Fault Im Not Popular
- Toilet Training Plot (+ caption)
- Happy Fun Ball
- HoYay.My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic
- Harpo Does Something Funny (+ caption) (my absolute favorite idea)
- Moment Killer
- Happiness In Minimum Wage
I only provided the caption for these images:
I uploaded these videos:
- ASDF Movie: Oblivious Adoption
- The Amanda Show: Game Show Goofballs
- Animaniacs (2020): Animation Lead Time
- Big Mouth: Only in Florida
- Clone High: Hollywood New England
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Slippery Slope Fallacy, Leaning on the Fourth Wall, Couch Gag
- Full Frontal with Samantha Bee: Dude, Not Funny!
- Game Grumps: Accidental Innuendo, Ho Yay
- The Golden Girls: Trojan Gauntlet
- Jacksfilms: Racist Grandma, Sequelitis
- The Nostalgia Critic: Narm Charm, Phallic Weapon
- Rhythm Heaven: Fake-Out Fade-Out
- Rick and Morty: Infection Scene
- Rocko's Modern Life: Fantastic Racism
- Ryan George: Acting for Two
- Saturday Night Live: Game Show Goofballs (the "What's wrong with this picture" one), Church of Happyology
- Scott the Woz: Game Show Goofballs
- Screen Rant Pitch Meetings: Don't Explain the Joke, Acting for Two
- South Park: Blessed with Suck, Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male, Children Voicing Children
I'm running these TLP draftsnote :
- Online Storytelling Technique
- "Newlywed Game" Homage
- Condom Demonstration Gag
- Flapping Head Animation
I just think these tropes are neat:
- Commercial Switcheroo: I really love advertising, so advertising that parodies other advertisements always come across as extremely clever to me.
- Loony Fan
- Meganekko: I just think girls with glasses are supes cute.
- Stalker with a Crush
- Mad Love
- Whole Episode Flashback
- Distant Finale
- Monster Fangirl
- Namesake Gag
- Next-Gen Fic
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Deconstruction Fic
- Former Child Star
- Sick Episode
- Unholy Matrimony: I really love hammy villains, and I think there's something really funny about characters who hate and want to destroy everybody finding somebody that brings out the best in them.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall
- Endearingly Dorky
- Easily Forgiven: Even some of my favorite shows fall into this and it always makes my eyes roll. I think it's stupid to act like a character undergoing a HeelFace Turn is inherently a bad message, because I firmly believe everybody has the capacity to be a better person. However, my issue lies with works that redeem a villain in less than a minute and then everybody, even those who have been absolutely traumatized by their actions, just forgives them without any hesitation. It feels so shallow and it's much more rewarding to explore the complicated journey of redemption.
- Hollywood Autism: I'm autistic. I'm very passionate about proper autism representation in media. It gets very frustrating to see the same young white guys who are either brilliant savants who happen to be just socially awkward enough to be funny or endearing, or totally inept burdens to their families where all the attention is on their family's plight and not their own feelings because as far as the work is concerned, they don't really have feelings, do they?
- No Bisexuals: Similar to the above, I'm bisexual and I'm really sick of being excluded both within the community and outside of it.
- Subverted Innocence: Yeah it's an index, but it sufficiently describes something that upsets me a lot of the time - people manipulating you into feeling shitty by preying on something pure and innocent, like puppies or kitties or rainbows or any sort of childish fun, and turning in gross and evil or just stomping all over it. Sometimes it works - and I've even used some of these tropes myself in my work ideas - but sometimes it just feels bleh.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Not a trope, but describes my feelings about certain media. I hate substanceless cutesy shit. Maybe it's because I'm extremely cynical, but something about it seems so...manipulative. If I see, like, a cute puppy video, it makes me sick because of the paranoia that something bad is secretly happening to that puppy. If all you have to go off of is cuteness, I'm going to avoid it.