I'll watch anything with good acting and a decent plot—which has recently meant mostly British costume dramas, for no apparent reason. (OK, I'm a bit of an Anglophile.) Anything with a legal or political angle is also good (although I quit watching Suits a while ago—Firm Life has started to vaguely gross me out). I was a bit of a science-fiction geek in high school (I read everything from Ender's Game to Philip K. Dick—the latter was a bit over my head) and watched a lot of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica when I was younger. Since then I've branched out. (I am also quite stereotypical in my love of Ken Burns documentaries. Shoot me, I don't care—they're good.)
I also edit a lot of Useful Notes pages, as I know altogether too much about everything. I'm also liable to edit anything which I see as not entirely accurate, and expand it by five or six sentences until the full nuances are completely articulated.
- Amoral Attorney: Haha, no. I am a lawyer, though.
- Appointment Television: Mad Men and Breaking Bad when they were on the air. Game of Thrones. Downton Abbey. Call the Midwife. (Yes I'm a guy. Honi soit qui mal y pense.) Peaky Blinders would be this when the next series airs, except it doesn't air on any American network, so I suppose I'll have to wait for Netflix....
- Born in the Wrong Century: I'm not entirely of this time, or at least so I'm told. I've been given suggestions from the 1860s through the 1950s as an ideal. I, personally, like having central heating, air conditioning, and a personal computer.
- Distinguished Gentleman's Pipe: Have one. Not that I use it much. My friends do say it completes the look.
- Dr. Pedia and Mr. Trope: Yes, I'm on that other wiki. I do have to say, sometimes even Dr. Pedia is annoyed with The Other Wiki's self-seriousness.
- Foreign Culture Fetish: Like I said, I'm a bit of an Anglophile.
- Game of Nerds: To be perfectly honest, I've never been a big sports guy (although I have read and enjoyed The Sports Guy), but if I had to pick a sport it'd be baseball. Hands down. Between the slow pace and the vast history (I wrote a significant chunk of Baseball), it just makes sense to me.
- Grammar Nazi: I once managed to bond with a boss over how "utilize" is an abomination and should never be used. Protip: never use it. I will change it to "use."
- Rail Enthusiast: I do like trains. Not a trainspotter, though—I read a lot about transit networks and I like riding on trains. I have on occasion pored over Google Earth maps developing imaginary commuter rail and subway networks. Also, the useful notes page Washington Metro is one of my favorite creations.
- Serial Tweaker: I'm well aware it's annoying, but sometimes I remember something I forgot to add. Or subtract. Or modify. Or whatever.
- Supreme Chef: My friends tell me I cook marvelously. I don't entirely believe them, but I do enjoy cooking.