You've maybe occasionally seen me around adding Professional Wrestling or Toku examples to trope pages.
Pages that I've created
open/close all folders
Tropes that apply to me personally
- A Dog Named "Dog": My first cat was named cat.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: It is extremely common for me to be working on multiple projects concurrently.
- Archive Panic: I rarely binge multi-season shows anymore, and when I do they take me forever to finish.
- Deadpan Snarker: It runs in the family.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Unless I'm at a public place, there is a really good chance that my feet are bare.
- Dreadful Musician: While I do know the very basics of a few instruments (violin, guitar), and am not bad at them, I have a horrible singing voice.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: It's actually not super uncommon for me to not pronounce an R sound properly, as when it's in the middle of the word I'll sometimes give it more of an W sound. Otherwise I'm fine, except when singing I'll roll all Rs (and Ws) into Ls.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Do NOT call me Jenny. I will not answer to it and any sort of Forrest Gump reference will get you punched.
- Fanvid: I've been active in the vidding community for over a decade now.
- Handy Feet: I am more than capable to do certain things with my feet if I need to.
- Hates Being Touched
- Hype Aversion: Hype is the biggest reason why I put off movies and TV shows.
- I Knew It!: I was the first person to use Stacy Keibler's correct middle name of Ann-Marie, which led to plenty of head scratching within the community that previously had only known the second part. Cut to today where this is now common knowledge.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: My cats mean the world to me and I will never turn down a cat pic. I don't mind dogs, but I also think Dogs Are Dumb.
- Named Like My Name: While I do have the same name as a lesser-known actress, I'm actually more proud of the fact that I can translate my full name into tokusatsu heroes. (For example, my first name would translate to "Time Force Pink".) However, 1/3 of my name would actually be a super obscure reference, so don't even try to figure it out.
- Rapunzel Hair: It's usually somewhere between my waist and my knees.
- Real Name as an Alias: I've more or less stopped using pseudonyms online as this is technically my real name.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: The names of my cats are a combination of two characters from Battlestar Galactica (2003) and two characters from Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Because of my social anxiety I can seem like a completely different person depending on how close we are.
- Sunglasses at Night: Because of my eye issues.
Tropes that apply to my perspective in general
- Fandom Heresy: I'm practically the poster child for this trope as I tend to like things that the majority hates. I also tend to not care for the fandom darling all that much either.
- Fandom Rivalry:
- Despite eventually watching both, and owning both on DVD, the wound of Fox picking up Firefly instead of renewing Dark Angel still really hurts and I will not hesitate to turn on a Browncoat.
- Even though I have a soft spot for Star Trek: The Next Generation, I will forever be a Star Wars girl.
- Having a WWE VS WCW or WWE VS TNA argument? I will choose WWE every single time, no matter what eras you put against each other.
- The Firefly Effect: Although, it's more that I won't watch things that replace my beloved cancelled shows, which for me started with Firefly replacing Dark Angel.
- Friendly Fandoms:
- Despite it not being a very popular thing to do, due to one stealing the other's renewal, I am a big fan of both Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse.
- I have never shown to choose a preference with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Charmed. I have always liked both equally, even going back to the early days. If you put a gun to my head I would probably blurt out Charmed, but otherwise I won't choose.
- Rooting for the Empire: I am Team Cylon.
- Something Person: I generally refer to characters as this if they are part of a large cast because I can be slow at learning names. But then sometimes it just sticks and it becomes an Affectionate Nickname.
Tropes that specifically apply to my opinions on toku
- Alternative Character Interpretation: My interpretation of characters can be widely different from the majority. Sometimes it's me reaching and other times I'm just wondering why I'm the only person that sees them this way.
- Charlie was originally a Wide-Eyed Idealist who was continually broken through corruption within the system.
- Sakura Nishihori is a bit Clingy Jealous Girl, a bit Stalker with a Crush, and should in no way be rewarded with Satoru's affections - that is, if he wasn't too into adventuring to even think about girls in anything but a platonic way. And also, Sakura hated her time in the military just as much as she hated her Rich Boredom.
- Madison Rocca has social anxiety.
- Mia Watanabe does not want to be a stereotypical housewife. She comes from parents who expect her to be a great samurai (and her brother a doctor), and Mia wanting to be a chef is her rebelling (just like Terry wanting to be a rock star). The "prince charming" she spoke of is more of the ideal than the person, in which she is rescued from her old life that was forced upon her.
- Trini is not a cookie cutter lesbian/bisexual. She doesn't like her parents labeling her, which could just be a teen figuring herself out, or it could be that she fits in multiple boxes. Maybe she's a biromantic asexual?
- Better by a Different Name:
- Creator Worship: I tend to have a preference towards shows with either Doug Sloan or Yasuko Kobayashi at the helm. There are two Kobayashi works in my top five Super Sentai seasons, three Kobayashi works in my top five Kamen Rider seasons, and FOUR Doug Sloan works in my top five Power Rangers seasons.
- Fanon Discontinuity:
- Gateway Series:
- I Do Not Like Green Eggs and Ham: When catching up with the franchise, I deliberately held off on watching Power Rangers Ninja Storm until last because it looked so unappealing. It's now my all-time favorite standalone series!
- I Knew It!: During one of the first few episodes of GoGo Sentai Boukenger I developed a random theory that Mr. Voice was actually a girl. Cue my shock when this was revealed to be true in the final episdoes.
- Rage Quit:
- I threw up my hands and quit Power Rangers Megaforce after seeing screenshots of the Changeman suits in original footage! However, Bile Fascination got the best of me and I kept tuning in just to leave it on in the background.
- I rolled my eyes at issue one of the Pink Ranger comic, and by issue two I was done with it and refuse to acknowledge its existence as it comes off like it was written by someone who had never seen the show, and they just had a list of bullet points of major happenings. Everyone is majorly OOC, the timeline is completely out of order, and Kim's stepdad has her uncle's first name.
- Rooting for the Empire: I was rooting for the A-Squad in S.P.D.'s final battle.
- Scapegoat Creator:
- Toshiki Inoue regarding his writing of female characters.
- He wrote two of the Maskman episodes that I point to the most when showing how awful Momoko is.
- In Fiveman for writing two specific Five Pink episodes. One where a random boy yells at her in the street to hurry up and get married, and another because of G-rated Slave Leia. Also, fuck episode 39. That episode can go to the depths of hell.
- From Jetman I can't stand Ako, am severly disappointed with Kaori's Chickification after hooking up with Gai, and disliked when Maria suddenly Took a Level in Jerkass at the start of the Tranza arc. Also, Jetman 36 does not exist.
- While I do give him props for Hinaka in Kamen Rider Hibiki, he also gets major points taken off for ignoring Kasumi and everything around Shuki. And I'm 50/50 on Akira. I hate the build up to her decision, but I like the agency that she has in said decision.
- By a certain point in the Kamen Rider OOO team-up movie his stench was so strong that it had to be his writing.
- Despite fandom loving the man, Judd Lynn is at his best when he's under the pressure to pick up someone else's scraps (Turbo, R.P.M.). Most of his "good stuff" is either not actually his writing or majorly overrated.
- The Scrappy: I have intense feelings towards Sungel, Momoko, Sky Tate and Ian Yorkland. Just mentioning their names starts to make my blood boil. I admit that my hate for the former is a little irrational, but I have legit reasons for why the other three are horrible people.
- Sequelitis: Kamen Rider Wizard was my first series in the franchise and I loved it. Afterward came Gaim and I still really liked it, but not quite as much. Then Drive aired, and while I liked certain aspects, it was overall very lackluster. After that I quit Ghost only a couple episodes in.
- Surprisingly Improved Sequel: I gave Ghost another chance and really started liking it more than Drive. Now Ex-Aid is back up to Gaim territory of enjoyment.
- Despite growing up a major tomboy, I hate the Real Women Don't Wear Dresses trope.
- The shaming of heroines when they show any signs of "weakness."
- Hypothetical Fight Debate: Particularly if it's between two female characters from the same franchise in order to undermine someone's Action Girl status.
- Two people with matching sexual orientations can be best friends and not want to bone each other! (Also, don't assume someone's orientation just because they fit a certain stereotype.)
- Mixing up pteranodon and pterodactyl(us). Especially considering the pteranodon is considerably bigger, with a large crest on its head, and is toothless.
- Not every female duo in media is a Tomboy and Girly Girl scenario!
- Never end a sentence with "nuff said." If you're not going to explain, don't explain, but saying this immediately nullifies your previous statement as far as I'm concerned.
- Neither Kim nor Kat underwent Chickification because of hooking up with Tommy. Yes, they screamed his name a lot, but that's only because he is always either insanely reckless or just straight up a Distressed Dude that needs her help. Or both. And it is okay if some of those do turn out actually be a "help me" because I don't want a Boring Invincible Hero.
- Kat's only monster kill was not the incredibly silly fight in "Weight and See" from Turbo. Not only did she practically kill the monster in "The Millennium Message"note but she is one of the few Rangers to get a solo monster kill in Zeo outside of Red & Gold. People just gloss over it because it was in an Adam episode that was secretly about Tanya.
- Even if someone doesn't get to solo kill a monster, it does not invalidate them. The show is about teamwork and working as a team should come first. I should point out that Tanya and Cassie - fan favorites - never got a single solo monster kill. So don't be that dude who decides someone's bad ass cred by their kill count, because that is a horrible thing to do and even Battlestar Galactica (2003) will call you out on your shit.
- Don't say that "Charlie doesn't count."
- Kendall is not trying to trash Shelby. She's trying to help Shelby onto the path to her full potential. This was confirmed by Claire Blackwelder.
- Change Griffin is "Uncle Jesse" due to his similarities with the character from Full House during the latter show's early years.
- Hikari Sentai Maskman is "Sexy Lamp Force" since everyone on the team (except possibly Takeru) fails the Sexy Lamp Test and the Rangers are not even the real protagonists of the series.
- Choujin Sentai Jetman secretly wanted to be sponsored by Nintendo and the kid villain is named Virtual Boy.
- Drugs Sentai Stonedranger was the Super Sentai series of 1996. It's not a parody - it's not even a comedy - it's just weird.
- Last Ninja Fan Club (Takaharu, Kasumi & Kinji) vs Team Normal Grampa (Fuuka, Nagi & Cloud) for the two opposing views within the team of Shuriken Sentai Ninninger.
- 2016's sentai is Minecraft Sentai Furryranger. Don't even try to deny it.
- Kamen Rider Beast's name is Mayo. Don't try to tell me otherwise because you're wrong.
- The 2016 series is Kamen Rider Splatoon Doctors. I decided it before the show even premiered and you cannot change my mind. I even sing "he's a kid now, he's a squid now" whenever a Rider upgrades from level 1.
- Kamen Rider Lazer is Bikeman.
- Isao Sasaki is "Japanese Bryan Cranston" due to their similar facial features in their later years.
- Project.R is Project.doRk because it's pretty much law that you have to be a dork to sing sentai music.
- Hideaki Takatori is "Grandpa" because, while he may not be the eldest member, he definitely acts the most like a grandpa on stage.
- Rider Chips' guitarist is "not!Joe" to due Psychic Lover's IMAJO always showing him up at concerts.
Fanon / Headcanons
- There was a fan theory on how certain X5s gave their enhanced traits to their offspring by explaining that it was possible through soldiers with 007 in their designation. I have come to accept this as canon.
- Tommy is a personality leech, jumping from person to person and adopting their lifestyle. Notable people he has emulated include Jason, Kimberly, his uncle John and Anton Mercer.
- Tommy was Katherine's second marriage. Her first marriage was to an average Joe and Tommy never reproduced.
- The Tommy that we all know did NOT earn a doctorate. The Dino Thunder version of the character is Tommy's clone that faded back into our time after the Wizard of Deception's reality faded. This Tommy was also the Green Ranger in "Legendary Battle" while original Tommy got distracted after saving the little boy.
- Both Alex and Katie were designer babies. Alex's parents specifically paid for their son to have a former Red Ranger's DNA, while Katie only had additional strength because her parents owned a farm and thought it would be useful. The lack of skirt on her Ranger outfit is also a direct response to Katie's designer baby DNA and the morpher being unable to properly decode it.
- Cassie Chan is Mia Watanabe's aunt, and the mission mentioned in the Lost Galaxy team-up was the previous battle with Master Xandred.note
- Monty from Power Rangers Ninja Steel is the son of Percy from VR Troopers and Trip form Beetleborgs. Only I can't decide whether Beetleborgs happened a few years earlier and Percy and Trip are a couple who had a surrogate mother, or Trip knocked someone up in high school, the baby was put up for adoption, and then was taken in by Percy. Either way, he is definitely Trip's blood and raised by Percy.
Tropes that I like to see in works
Tropes that I'd prefer not to see in works
Tropes that can be found in my fan works
- The Abridged Series: I actually started a Gokaiger Gag Sub abridged adaptation at one point. However, only two episodes exist, and the terminology is a bit rough, so I don't make a big deal out of it.
- Ascended Fanfic / Better by a Different Name: The Power/Rangers fanfilm was much better when I did it several years prior in fanvid form.
- Break the Cutie: Usually not to an extreme amount, but generally the more I like a character, the more I seem to inflict this trope.
- Evil Twin: I've brainstormed quite a few Toku adaptations and there is usually one of these somewhere in the cast.
- Fusion Fic: I love doing this with vids, but special mention to putting the Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue cast into the Dark Angel plot line without using anything from the latter's source material.
- Haunted House: Every year in grade school I would basically write Real-Person Fic based around this premise.
- Shot-for-Shot Remake: My mash-ups are generally this to the original audio source, which sometimes ends up being the vid's detriment.
The Super Sentai Five Man Band
I see the Super Sentai Five-Man Band
more as made up of five of the following six archetypes:note
- Standardized Leader/Fiery Red
- Dorky Big Brother: A big brother/senpai to the team - literally or figuratively - who is (secretly) a huge dork.
- Change Griffin, Five Blue, Oh Green, Green Racer, Mega Blacknote , Ginga Blue, Time Yellow, Gao Yellow, Magi Green, Bouken Black, Geki Chopper, Go-on Blue, Gosei Black, Beet Buster, Kyōryū Blue, Kajiki Yellow.
- The Kid/Eccentric Guy: The youngest mentally/physically or has a unique way of doing things. No team can have both a kid and eccentric guy.
- Change Pegasus, Pink Mask (rare gender flip), Five Black, Yellow Owl, Tenma Ranger, Oh Blue, Blue Racer, Ginga Yellow, Time Green, Gao Blue, Deka Green, Geki Blue, Go-on Green, Shinken Green, Gokai Green, Stag Buster, Kyōryū Green, TOQ 2, Ki Ninger, Zyuoh Lion, Oushi Black / Hebitsukai Silvernote , Patran Nigou.
- The Serious Guy: Usually the stick in the mud when it comes to the team's downtime.
- Change Mermaid (rare gender flip), Black Mask, Five Pink (rare gender flip), Black Condor, Shishi Ranger, Mega Blue, Ginga Green, Time Blue, Deka Blue, Magi Yellow, Bouken Blue, Geki Violet, Go-on Black, Shinken Blue, Gosei Blue, Gokai Blue, Blue Buster, Kyōryū Black, TOQ 4, Momo Ninger (rare gender flip), Zyuoh Elephant, Ookami Blue / Sasori Orangenote , Lupin Blue.
- Badass with a Secret Sweet Side: While some "Serious Guys" can also fit here, this character is generally not overly serious.
- Change Phoenix, Yellow Mask, Five Yellow, Blue Swallow, Houou Ranger, Ninja White, Oh Yellow, Yellow Racer, Mega Yellow, Ginga Pink, Time Pink, Gao Black (rare gender flip), Deka Yellow, Bouken Pink, Geki Yellow, Go-on Silver, Shinken Pink, Gosei Yellow, Gokai Yellow, Kyōryū Pink, TOQ 3, Ao Ninger (rare gender flip), Zyuoh Shark, Patran Sangou.
- Adorable Powerhouse: The super cute/feminine character with immense power. There may be some overlap with "The Kid", but these characters are generally the cuter one.
- Blue Mask (rare gender flip), White Swan, Kirin Ranger (rare gender flip), Oh Pink, Pink Racer, Mega Pink, Gao White, Deka Pink, Bouken Yellow, Go-on Yellow, Shinken Yellow, Gosei Pink, Gokai Pink, Yellow Buster, TOQ 5, Shiro Ninger, Zyuoh Tiger, Chamaeleon Greennote , Lupin Yellow.