What, no Wiki Magic? Jeez...
Do not expect him to be one of the more prolific contributors (maybe; it depends on how much interest he has in a particular subject/topic). He is very lazy, with a glaringly chronic procrastination streak. And that might just be the understatement of the year, folks. Widely enjoys video games and anime (he is something of a Japanophile). Spends time surfing the net, usually hanging around YouTube note , GameSpot note , and FanFiction.net note .
His dream job is to enter the voice acting industry, as he enjoys the work and is somewhat melodramatic (he's too reserved to be a Large Ham, although this trait doesn't carry over to the internet). He's not quite at Man of a Thousand Voices levels, but his fluctuating voice and pitch allows him to pull off a decent range of voices, including impressions and accents (albeit briefly). As for now, he'll have to make due with your standard education fare.
Long story short, if you see him on TV Tropes, then he probably shouldn't be here.
Despite the above, This Troper is responsible for launching the following tropes/pages:
- Dream Match Game
- Human Pack Mule
- Not Your Daddy's X
- Power Makes Your Voice Deep
- Reuben Langdon
- Walking Armory note
- Yuuto Kazama
- The Ace: An intellectual variant up until college, which is rapidly turning him into a Broken Ace (although he has been able to narrowly avoid a Despair Event Horizon).
- Accidental Pervert: He's starting to fall into this trope. Given that he's an unintentional Moment Killer and he tends to hang out with his gal pals in college, he's been unfortunate enough to stumble in on them mere moments after they've gotten out of the shower. This has probably happened about five times already.
- Adorkable: Apparently to some degree starting in high school, due to his combination of dry humor and kindliness. A friend in college once described him as "cute" because of such.
- Adult Child: May possibly become one, mainly because Growing Up Sucks to a degree. He admits that he'd probably be a rather tame example.
- Badass Mustache: According to his friends, he has some pretty impressive facial hair. Subverted in that he doesn't think of himself as a badass.
- Berserk Button: People who are obnoxious (i.e. not knowing when to keep their mouths shut), idiotic (not as in not "everyone should be a genius with an advanced I.Q.", but as in "why do people have no common sense whatsoever or are unable to listen when something crucial is being explained?"), and/or overbearing. It's more of a pet-peeve, so he won't (usually) go off-the-walls ballistic, but it's easy to tell when he's displeased.
- Black-and-White Morality/Black-and-Gray Morality/Grey-and-Gray Morality: It all depends on how cynical he is being at a given moment.
- Blatant Lies: As a child, he had quite a bit of a silver tongue (but it was easy to catch him in the act). As such, he has a medium-sized issue of trust with his parents. He is working to address this.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: The "brilliant" part is a bit of a stretch (he's [mildly] intelligent, but there have been numerous times when he had to legitimately work his butt off), but his adversity to work is often jarring. He's probably here on TV Tropes instead of doing homework as you read this.
- Butt-Monkey: A very tame example, but odd mishaps usually tend to involve him as a victim.
- Catchphrase: "Karmic backlash," "Sounds like a personal problem to me" (which phased out for the most part after high school), "Well, that's... (mildly) X," and "... and all that jazz."
- Character Alignment: Neutral Good. Although he can become progressively more stand-offish if his buttons are pressed, he still tries to do the right thing and help out others.
- Chick Magnet: He's highly skeptical of his status as such, but according to his parents, yes.
- Closet Geek: To a degree.
- Creepy Shadowed Under Eyes: Has faint bags under his eyes, possibly due to his bad sleeping habits; that being said, he's had them since he was a kid.
- Cultural Rebel: Is probably one of the few members of his generation to not understand the over-reliance on cell phones and prefers to use his cell to actually call people instead of texting them. He also believes that most music (particularly rap and dubstep) since circa 2006 is lyrical and/or symphonic dreck, in staunch opposition to many of his peers.
- Dead Fic: A majority of his work falls into this abyss. He blames our schools.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not always intentional or of his own volition, but there's that rare time when people are just asking for it. Sometimes leads to a "Straight Man"/"The Comically Serious" situation.
- Facepalm: Along with its sister, Facedesk.
- First-Person Smartass: The voice in his head is a bona-fide jerkass (which would explain his moments). If you manage to get on his bad side, he won't always outright tell you, but he definitely will be snarking in his mind.
- Sarcastic Clapping: At times.
- Sarcasm Mode: Oh so much. Only true men use sarcasm to defeat their opponent.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Overall, leans towards the cynical side of things, but he does have his moments.
- Enthusiasm vs. Stoicism: In contrast, he's reserved, but falls into the "enthusiasm" side of the spectrum.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: His biggest fear and one of the main reasons his college life has been... less than savory.
- Eternally Pearly-White Teeth: Sadly averted. When he had his braces removed, a layer of his calcium came with it, meaning that his teeth would be easily stained if he drank dark-colored beverages (i.e. tea, soda, etc.). Three guesses as to what he drank afterwards. Of course, he didn't find out about this minuscule detail until years later. No matter how much he brushes his teeth, his teeth will probably always have technicolor splotches. The only possible remedy would be if a metric ton of whitening products were directly implanted into his teeth.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Pops up moreso in fanfiction than in Real Life, but yes. Expect to see Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, German, Italian, French, and Latin words being thrown out there a lot. Perhaps the only justified language is Korean; as a Taekwondoka, he's required to know a good deal of terminology in the art's native tongue. He also took a few years of Spanish and Latin in high school, but only remembers a handful of words and phrases.
- Guile Hero: A mild example, but he can be quite shrewd, sly, and manipulative when called for. He's been quoted several times as "not playing sides."
- Hell Is That Noise: Has a tendency of unintentionally making weird and sometimes unsettling noises.
- Hidden Badass: Or so he's been told. Many would be surprised to know about the below trope.
- The Hyena: Surprisingly so, at least to a degree. He doesn't find everything funny (far from it, in fact), but comedic events tend to elicit a very impassioned response from him, and it's hard for him to stop laughing once he gets going (or if it's a constant string of humor). His pitch also tends to go very high when he's laughing.
- I Know Karate: A 1st degree black belt in ITF-style Taekwondo (he's also received training in bojutsu and saijutsu). Of course seeing as Taekwondo (and all martial arts in general) are meant to be used for the purposes of self-defense only, it's something of an Informed Ability (he generally tries to avoid combat if he can, and by his own admission, he's a bit rusty when it comes to the art). He does not consider himself to be a Badass Bookworm or one who has Minored in Ass-Kicking, but by virtue of having some fighting ability, he'd probably skirt the line.
- Recently, he's taken up WTF-style Taekwondo under the tutelage of the son of one of the first Korean Grandmasters to come over to America, himself a 5th degree black belt in Taekwondo and Judo, as well as a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (he is very much a Cool Teacher and a Badass Teacher). Thanks to prior experience, he (the Troper in question, not the martial arts instructor) has actually managed to wow some of the senior members of his class.
- Glass Cannon: In a sense. He doesn't necessarily hit that hard, but his stamina isn't the greatest. Once he exerts himself past a certain extent, he tires out easily.
- Jump Scare: Highly susceptible to these, even if he knows they're coming.
- Katanas Are Just Better: To the point that his grandfather gave him one as a gift. Just because.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Fancies himself as one. He LOVES dogs... er... cats and most felines seem to enjoy his company. On the other hand, most dogs (which he also finds to be adorable) seem to hate him...
- Launcher of a Thousand Ships: Exclusive to this site. According to Deathonabun (the Love Freak of this site), he is tied to three Tropettes: angelistoftenshi, Serenitas, and suspiciouscookie. He loves them all dearly, but the situation is something of a Love Dodecahedron thanks to Death's shipping shenanigans.
- One could also say (from a glance) that he has a good deal of Ship Tease with Kazuna Rei; after all, she has referred to him as "dear" (complete with a ♥) a few times before. Regardless, they share a healthy "straight-laced older brother, perky younger sister" dynamic. Oh, and Planet Wisp is apparently her husband. It's a bit hard to compete with a planet.
- Has recently been shipped with lu 127 by Hellman Sabian thanks to their interactions on the DMC forum. The two of them get along well and share quite a few interests, so make of that as you will.
- Was also recently on the receiving end of a "hasty declaration of love" from Aondeug in response to a suggestion of his on the Zelda forum. Has respectfully declined her offer for the time being.
- In general, he tends to be somewhat affectionate (well, as affectionate as one can be on the internet) with Tropettes (usually in the form of pats on the head and hugs), so it's a bit hard for him to avoid this whether intentional or not.
- Megane: Subverted. Since he's near-sighted, he only wears glasses when in school and he's not towards the front of the classroom. Personality-wise, he'd be a mix of the shy and studious archetypes.
- Memetic McNinja: Apparently, this is how his friends from high school and college see him. No, he couldn't make this one up if he tried.
- My Name Is Not X 2 X: X2X. No spaces. This also applies in Real Life, even though he has a very common name.
- Moment Killer: Sometimes to humor himself, but most times, it's merely a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Momma's Boy: As a kid. He's mostly grown out of it, but no worries; he still loves his mother (and his family in general) dearly, even if he has a hard time showing it at times.
- Mood-Swinger: Not frequently, but he does have moments where he drops from laid-back and cheery to moody, somber, and anger-prone to (in the worst cases) straight-up depression. How drastic and how quickly his mood sours is roughly proportional to how much you've managed to set him off.
- Nice Guy: Was something of an Extreme Doormat as a child, but he still cannot (usually) resist helping those in need (and he usually feels guilty when he doesn't). He is also unable to hold a grudge for long (although that might be something else entirely). In later years, his characterization has remained (largely) the same, with an increased dosage of snark.
- Dogged Nice Guy: More or less. Subversion in that he doesn't veer into the "stalker" side of the scale, and has no qualm with rejection if the person in question ends up happy. Still, here's hoping that nice guys do finish first for once in their lives.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: If his buttons are pressed, there's a good chance he'll act this way (you can tell if the snark levels begin to skyrocket). He'll help you out, but he won't be kind while doing so.
- Jerkass: On his worst days. Alternatively, some of his actions could be misconstrued as this.
- Bastard In Sheep's Clothing: Hopes that he is not secretly this. The results would be a nightmare.
- Older Than They Look: A teenager who is somewhat short for his age (not that short, but still enough to be conscientious about his height) and barely looks older than when he was in middle school. Whether or not that makes him something of a Bishōnen is subjective.
- Old Shame: His initial foray onto the internet circa 2006-2008. Bizarre, almost Keet-like character quirks, frequent usage of slang (although not to Jive Turkey levels), and a surprising overabundance of vulgarity (primarily seen with YouTube comments). Not quite G.I.F.T. material, but still jarring compared to how he presents himself nowadays. Luckily, it's mostly faded out over the years.
- Apologizes a Lot: In regards to the above.
- Otaku: Just in case you couldn't tell from the mini-excerpt at the top of this page. However, on the spectrum of Otakuness, he's probably a 3 or 4 at best. (For the record, he is aware of the negative connotations the term implies; you'll never catch him addressing himself as such.)
- In light of his trip to Otakon, make that a 1 or 2.
- Perma-Stubble: Tends to go clean-shaved often, though.
- Red Baron: "Spin Hook" during his Taekwondo days, due to his very effective Weapon of Choice: the Spin Hook kick.
- Self-Deprecation: Usually Played for Laughs.
- Sensitive Guy: On the Sliding Scale Of Sensitivity Versus Manliness (is this a trope yet?), he'd probably fall somewhere in the middle (leaning towards sensitivity), but overall, he tends to be more emotional than your typical "Manly Men."
- Serial Tweaker: A lesser example.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: He's had several buddies of the opposite sex that he was close to, but ultimately remained in the "friends" stage (although Stupid Sexy Friend reactions still pop up frequently). Of course, that didn't stop his family and friends from teasing him about it. At least one of these relationships has progressed to the point of Platonic Life-Partners.
- Sitcom Archnemesis/Friendly Enemy: See Unknown Rival below.
- Sleepyhead/Heavy Sleeper: He's what you'd call a "Night Owl." Properly adjusting to and functioning in college has been something of a hassle. As a result, he is Not a Morning Person.
- Asleep in Class: Yup. It happens from time to time.
- Sliding Scale of Silliness vs. Seriousness: Usually falls towards the middle (with a lean towards seriousness), but there are days where the switch between extremes is like a pinball machine. May possibly be bipolar, but others joke that it could be a case of a Split Personality.
- The Smart Guy: Does not usually form a Five-Man Band, but expect him to play this role if he's ever in a group. Usually pulls double-duty (or sometimes triple) as The Lancer, the Only Sane Man, and/or the Team Mom (yes, a rare male example, even though he allegedly plays the Team Dad role not too shabbily either).
- Not So Above It All: There are genuine times when he'll stop being the voice of reason and begin to goof around and jest like the rest of his companions...
- Surrounded by Idiots: ... and then there are times when he simply loses the patience to deal with those who lack common sense. This is usually signified by—surprise, surprise—snark and, eventually, calling it quits.
- Sophisticated as Hell: His vocabulary is usually refined, but it can become extremely colorful if need be.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Usually only when his anger has reached its boiling point. That is a good cue to leave the immediate area.
- The Southpaw: Slightly subverted, as he does use his right hand for a few tasks. Overall, he's predominately left-handed.
- Spirited Competitor: When it comes to video games, although he was something of a Sore Loser as a child. Values fun over winning and losing and although he does enjoy a good win, he's accepting of defeat provided that everyone is cordial and a good sport about it. Tends to commend his opponents for good/close matches and usually apologizes anything that takes away from the fairness of the fight (lag due to bad connections, cheap wins), even if he wasn't responsible.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: At least the "Stealth Hi" part, anyway. Part of the reason for his above Memetic McNinja status.
- Stepford Smiler (Type A): Even when bogged down, he's usually good at hiding his sadness and inner turmoil.
- Straight Edge/The Teetotaler: For personal reasons, although he really doesn't understand the appeal of lifestyle choices like smoking, doing drugs, and drinking note to begin with.
- Time Master: Possibly, according to the KH thread on the fora. May possibly be one in the same with Unknown/the Mysterious Figure aka Young Xehanort and is at least half-responsible for the Great Time Warp Derail of 2012. Recently struck again on the BlazBlue thread.
- Third-Person Person: For some reason, he is referring to himself in the third person on this page. Weird...
- Also done occasionally on the KH forum when assuming the identity of the Mysterious Figure (see Time Master above).
- Troubled, but Cute: He's far from the worst examples of this trope, but he does have a hard time opening up about his hardships and he has a somewhat strained and dysfunctional relationship with his family (said relationship has improved in recent years, though).
- TV Tropes Will Enhance Your Life: In a sense. He has gained a deeper understanding of several different subjects, not to mention that he's met some very kind people on the forums.
- Unknown Rival: Is/was considered by one Troper to be a lesser romantic rival in regards to an aforementioned Tropette. In reality, it's probably the other way around, seeing as the above Troper acts like a Crazy Jealous Guy most of the time (he's mellowed out recently, though).
- Unusual Euphemism: "Goats and monkeys!" "Strumpet!" "Fragadero!" note "Ten minutes!"
- Weaksauce Weakness: In a sense, playing traditional 2D fighters (i.e. Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, etc.). Enjoys playing them, but having to repeatedly input quick strings of button commands (i.e. QCF x2, HCB x2, 180s, 360s, etc) tends to give him blisters on his thumbs, which means he has stop playing for a bit to let his hands rest.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: More freakish-looking enemies in certain games he plays (such as Castlevania, Odin Sphere, and even Kingdom Hearts) tend to elicit an unsettling (or at least negative) reaction from him. Also suffers from stage fright dating back to his elementary school days.
- You Know You Read Too Much TV Tropes When: Yup. It'll probably ruin his life. Just you wait.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Vocabulary: Half played straight, half subverted.
- Worthy Opponent/Friendly Enemy: Has had this dynamic (moreso the former) with a fair share of Tropers, although it usually quickly mellows out into mutual respect.
- Captain Falcon (the Super Smash Bros.. incarnation)
- non-Engrishy variants of Terry Bogard and Geese Howard
- Kim Kaphwan note
- Kyo Kusanagi, K', and maybe Ash Crimson and Saiki
- Iori Yagami's trademark laugh
- Eiji Kisaragi
- the Maximum Impact announcer
- Allen Snider and Kairi
- Sol Badguy and, possibly, Slayer, Eddie, and Chipp
- Lion Rafale
- Ray McDougal
- Blade Master Alastor
- Sigma note
- Zexion note
- Green note
- Shadow the Hedgehog note
- Espio the Chameleon note
- Bill Cosby
Ya'll got vandalized. Can we fight to the death now? - Shirow Shirow
- You are already dead.
You got a great taste in, well most things actually. Stay kewl dawg. - Hellman Sabian
- Heh, I'm not that cool, but thanks anyway.
Watch your back!~Vanitas
- Too slow. :P
- I KEEL YOU!
Mai hasubando! <3 - suspiciouscookie
- Wuv you. :3
- Welcome to the club. Also, you might want to get those teeth of yours checked out. :D
- Of course, feel free to vandalize my page. :D
Here comes a new vandal! - Mr Pastry
What. You snuck onto my page too~. =w= Am I gonna have to check there everyday? - Kazuna Rei
- Maaaaaybe? :P
- Moo~. >w<
- (pats head) Oh, you adorably silly girl. :)
- Hee~. :3
Just curious, what does "X2X" mean? - Alucard
- Er... nothing, actually. I just thought it looked cool. It was taken from my GameSpot handle (DesertClawX2X), but there's no real significance to it.
We tropers must be the only people who ask to be trolled. We're definitely insane. Anyway, here's your vandilizing. Feel free to do the same. Hi! - Amused Troper Guy
- Well, everyone else is doing it... I'd like to think that I'm still sane, though. ^_^'
Figured I'd throw this bit of VANDALSUM down here, show that you're worth the time for me to ruin your page. But seriously, thanks for being cool! - Pulse
- Hahaha, right back at you. I enjoy our exchanges on the forums. I don't think I could have devised my story without your input. :)
- Good news, everyone! I've been vandalized again!
I feel the need to leave my mark on this page. So, here it is! -clears throat- VANDALISM! - A Crack In Time
- Good thing I'm wearing my Reflect Ring today, eh? Counter Vandalism powers, go! :P
Hi there! ~ Folt
- And hello to you as well, Mr. Folt the Bolt. Did you bring any cake?
Dante died for your sins. And Tameem revived him. - Lu
- ... I can't deal. I can't deal. I can't deal. I can't deal. It's like staring into a backed-up toilet! (faints)
Eh, I think you're a pretty cool guy. You make tropes, and doesn't afraid of anything. :3 -Marox XIII
- Heh heh, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but thanks nonetheless. :)
Hazarding a guess, you're an Englishman, no? - Hashil
- American, actually. But hey, close enough. :P
- I got the native language right, anyway.
Never forget the Great Time Warp Derail of 2012. - Makai
- (solemn salute) Of course I won't. I started it, after all. (evil laugh)
- Only after I triggered you to start it. XD
- That was quite a derail. I wonder if Booky still has Oathkeeper? — Keyseeker
- Oh, hey Key. :) Haha, indeed it was. Yeah, I let Booky keep it, although I'm not sure if she remembers that she has it.
- THE WINDS OF THE KING!
- TEMPA KYORAN!!
- LOOK! THE EAST...!
- ...IS BURNING RED!!!
- Very good... At this moment... you have proven yourself to become a true King of Hearts, Gokulio.
- Did you hear about what Gregg Williams did from 2009-2011 when he was with the New Orleans Saints? I don't like what he did at all. - AlBundyFan365
- ... Probably?
- Hello, I don't think we've met. I'm Ari. And you?
- I go by X2X around these parts, but you can call me X for short if you like. Pleased to make your acquaintance. :)
- I'm in ur page, vandalizing your page. And failing at memes. While I'm here, I'm going to shamelessly link to a work I'm trying to get onto Trope Overdosed. Let's see if this works. Great, thanks! Lightflame
- POTHOLES. POTHOLES EVERYWHERE.
- Hi there~! I'm doing well, how are you? =D IchigoNeko
- Good to hear. I'm doing fine myself. Can't complain. :)
- X to X, dust to- oh, this sounded better in my head >_> ~ AzureSeas
- It's the thought that cou—wait, that doesn't work either. ^^'
- Hey, I pay yer back when the Wii U drives you broke and forces you to drop out of college. Heck, I'll even send you a shitload of Munniez to pay for it! Hop your country accepts Outback dollars :3 PippingFool
- Sounds good. You know how I liekz teh green. By any chance, do these so-called "Outback dollars" work at the Outback Steakhouse as well? :P
- Now X, would you like to try dying this once? Jigaboo
- (sighs) Fine. But just this once.
- -stretches out arms as Sakura petals fill the screen-
- (iz ded) RESURRECTION! ... Crap, there goes all of my super meter.
- Fitting, for you to be my first Vandalization and for me to be your last. *You have acquired a Vandalization* - That One Guy Who Is Also Named X But Is Way Cooler
- Well, you were the last Troper to vandal me... in a previous time loop. (dramatic music)
Wow you had to make a new folder? XD Stop being so popular~. =w= KazunaRei
- (pinches your cheek) Well, it's not like I was expecting all of these people to swing by my page. It just... happened. ^^;
- Hello, I don't think we've met, although I see you posting everywhere. I'm Shaggy And you?
- The name's X2X. X for short. Pleased to meet you. And yeah, my tastes are pretty varied, so I have of popping up/dropping in just about anywhere on such short notice.
- One day I will bring you down Mysterious Figure....But for now....Keep your friends close and your enemies closer....Wait, did I just type that? Oh god how do you untype that. Emperordaein
- You can't. Not unless you have time-warping powers of your own.
- Since there already someone I simply call "X", I'll just call you Number Two! :P - kay4today
- I think I predate X, but sure, go ahead. Whatever floats your boat, amirite? :D
- At first, I wasn't going to leave a comment here, but then the whole "My granddad gave me a sword" tidbit changed my mind by virtue of being really awesome. Care to share the story in detail? - T-bone61
- It's probably not as impressive a story as you think, but sure. Not too long after I earned my black belt (or maybe it was my brown belt, I don't fully recall) in Taekwondo, my grandfather stopped by my house (I believe it was during Christmas) and awarded me a katana he bought in commemoration of the event. Finely-crafted, tempered, sharpened, the works. Of course, having a dangerous weapon in the house (and with few people knowing of its existence, authorities included) means that I need to have it stored away in a secure location at all times. I'm willing to bet I'd only be allowed to use in the case of an emergency, and only then as a last resort.
- I see you on every Tv Tropes thread. You are like the Nolan North of Tv Tropes Forums! -MagcargoMan
- Nolan North, eh? Nah, it's just that we share a number of similar interests. :P
- This page is getting crazy! Let's rock! -CrimsonFlameKnight
Still here, huh? That's mildly surprising.
Are you talking about the outdated indexing?
- Outdated? I SAY THEE NAY!